George Bernard Shaw is one of the world’s renowned intellectual to have ever lived. He was born on 26 July 1856 and died on 2 November 1950.
An author of many literary pieces and of different forms; Bernard Shaw practically passes well for an all round literary giant.
The Irish man is a playwright, critic and polemicist. His theatrical impacts influenced the western world by way of culture and politics in the 1880’s and beyond.
Bernard Shaw was a staunch scholar. A similar African personality like this legendary theatrical figure is the likes of Nigeria’s Wole Soyinka.
As a well read intellect and a keen social observer, Bernard Shaw shared his philosophy and thoughts about life and all through his writings.
These are some of the brilliant quotes from the Irish legend:
1. A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
2. If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.
3. Clever and attractive women do not want to vote; they are willing to let men govern as long as they govern men.
4. The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
5. I have to live for others and not for myself: that’s middle-class morality.
6. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake.
7. As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death.
8. Assassination is the extreme form of censorship.
9. Until the men of action clear out the talkers, we who have social consciences are at the mercy of those who have none.
10. He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.
See Also: 200+ Great Life Quotes To Live By
11. The best place to find God is in a garden. You can dig for him there.
12. Most people do not pray; they only beg.
13. My way of joking is to tell the truth. It’s the funniest joke in the world.
14. You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’
15. Science never solves a problem without creating ten more.
16. Just do what must be done. This may not be happiness, but it is greatness.
17. Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
18. The only service a friend can really render is to keep up your courage by holding up to you a mirror in which you can see a noble image of yourself.
19. Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power.
20. People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.
21. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want and if they can’t find them, make them.
22. A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
23. Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.