Nigeria: Boko Haram Strikes Again; Abducts 22 Women & Girls In Borno State


Current report from Nigeria says that in 2 different attacks, the Boko Haram sect has once again abducted a total of 22 women and girls in Borno, North-east Nigeria.

The recent abduction could perhaps be a tactic the terrorist group is using to re-stamp their presence regardless of the good news that the Nigerian military is finally ridding the North-east of the insurgent group.

The recent abduction takes observers back to the Chibok attack where over 200 girls were allegedly kidnapped by the savage group. Out of the over 200 girls, no more than 80 have returned.

With the return of 21 of them in the 2016 swap, the Nigerian government said negotiations were ongoing to see the possibility of the release of another 83 girls.

According to Vanguard, the first attack took place on Thursday. It says the Boko Haram sect invaded Pulka village and kidnapped 18 girls. Pulka is close to the Cameroonian border.

See Also: Release Of 83 More Chibok Girls To Be Negotiated With Boko Haram

“Boko Haram fighters from Mamman Nur camp arrived in pickup vans around 6:00 am and seized 14 young girls aged 17 and below while residents fled into the bush,”

“They picked four other girls who were fleeing the raid they came across in the bush outside the village,”

Witnesses of the raid identified the militants as the faction that are loyal to Abu Musab Al-Barnawi, the son of Boko Haram founder Mohammed Yusuf.

Recall that Abu Musab Al-Barnawi was named last year by ISIS as the leader of the Boko Haram group.

His appointment gave a crack in the terror sect as Shekau who has been the long time leader of the group maintains that he was still in charge; in essence rebuffing the orders of ISIS, to whom he continues to pledge his allegiance regardless of the power tussle between him and the newly named leader.

The disagreement caused a strife for the group tearing it into 2 different factions- Shekau loyalists and Al-Barnawi’s followers.

Residents of Pulka village foresee a similar fate of the Chibok girls becoming the reality of these newly abducted girls. They are most likely to be used as brides for the members or used as suicide bombers.

See Also: Boko Haram Steals Food And Supplies In New Raid

The second raid reportedly took place in the outskirts of Dumba Village which is located near Lake Chad.

In the narration of Adamu Ahmed, a vigilante group member in the region, the militants murdered a herdsman for his refusal to pay protection money.

“When the Boko Haram gunmen came for the money they realized he had left with everything and they decided to go after him on their motorcycles,” 

“They caught up with him near Dumba where they slaughtered him and shot dead 50 of his cattle.”

“They took four women from the man’s family and the rest of the herd.”

Witnesses of the first raid said the Islamist group did not harm or shoot anyone.

“They didn’t harm anyone during the raid and they made no attempt to shoot people running away from the village.”

Perhaps that was the glaring sign that the Islamic militants were not the usual Shekau followers. Brutal and reckless murder of innocent Muslims were one of the supposed reasons why Shekau was unseated last year.

The new leader, Al-Barnawi assures that there would be no harm done to residents of their target locations as long as they do not cooperate with Nigerian security troops.

Vanguard also reports that in recent weeks, the Boko Haram sect have been stealing food from in-dwellers of Lake Chad areas.

Topics: