Although African states have moved away from Military regimes, there has been various political upheavals in Africa that has seen the deployment of the military in a bid to solve these issues.
One of these problems include the global terrorism threat which various African countries have faced in the form of Al-Shabab, Boko Haram , Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State in Libya.
Ever wondered which African country has the greatest military power? Global Fire Power has published a list of the African countries with the most power military capacity. these are the Top 30.
The Global Fire power uses over 40 factors in determining the most powerful countries in Africa. These factors are based on an Algorithm that “attempts to provide a fair canvas that allows smaller, yet technologically advanced powers to compete with larger, lesser developed
This allows smaller, though more technologically-advanced, nations to compete with larger, lesser-developed ones. Modifiers in the form of bonuses and penalties are added to refine the list. Some things to observe in regards to the finalized ranking:
• Ranking does not simply rely on the total number of weapons available to any one country but rather focuses on weapon diversity within the number totals to provide a better balance of firepower available (i.e. fielding 100 minesweepers does not equal the strategic and tactical value of fielding 10 aircraft carriers).
• Nuclear stockpiles are NOT taken into account but recognized / suspected nuclear powers receive a bonus.
• Geographical factors, logistical flexibility, natural resources and local industry influence the final ranking.
• Available manpower is a key consideration; nations with large populations tend to rank higher.
• Land-locked nations are NOT penalized for lack of a navy; naval powers ARE penalized for lack of diversity in available assets.
• NATO allies receive a slight bonus due to the theoretical sharing of resources.
• Current political / military leadership is NOT taken into account.
30. Central African Republic
27. Republic of the Congo
23. Ivory Coast
18. South Sudan
10. Democratic Republic of the Congo
5. South Africa