Top 10 Best African International Airports– South Africa’s Cape Town International Airport has been ranked best and an all time favorite in Africa by a reputable Canadian travel and hospitality firm.
The Guide to Sleeping in Airports ran a survey in October 2016 to know the best international airport in Africa.
The result of the survey was released on February 8 2017. It shows that African travelers are in love with Cape Town International Airport for a number of interesting reasons.
According to the The Guide to Sleeping in Airports article, the ranking was dependent on the rate of approval of travelers on factors like:
- Comfort (Rest Zones & Gate Seating)
- Services, Facilities & Things to do
- Food Options
- Customer Service
With due consideration to the above, it was found that travelers were impressed with the Cape Town International Airport especially for such qualities as comfortability, services- hospitality; security, customer service and cleanliness.
Most African countries are putting in efforts to bring their airports up to the international standard.
What makes an airport stand out cuts across the structure, effective operations, cleanliness, technological improvements and entertainment options.
For air travelers, the airport is the first place most legal foreigners they see. That is where they begin to get their first impression of the country they are in.
To be mentioned as the top best international airport in Africa means that the airport offered flight passengers a travel experience to remember and look forward to.
Ranking top as an all time favorite was the Cape Town International Airport, South Africa.
“Travellers are consistently happy with the terminals’ cleanliness and simplicity – and they’re pleased with the helpful and friendly staff. “
“Amenities like 4 hours of free Wi-Fi, a few pay-to-use lounges, a small budget-friendly grocery store and a library are other welcome additions, not often seen in terminals across the continent.”
Kigali International Airport, Rwanda (KGL) came the second on the list as best airport in Africa and number one in East Africa.
“Passengers are pleased by the clean and modern terminals and by how helpful their staff have been. The airport itself is decently easy to navigate, and services like e-clearing can limit the time you spend in lineups.”
From the result of the survey these are the top 10 best African international airports:
1. Cape Town International Airport, South Africa (CPT)
2. Kigali International Airport, Rwanda (KGL)
3. Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam (Port Louis) International Airport, Mauritius (MRU)
4. Johannesburg O.R. Tambo International Airport, South Africa (JNB)
5. Algiers Houari Boumediene International Airport, Algeria (ALG)
6. Durban King Shaka International Airport, South Africa (DUR)
7. Rabat-Sale International Airport, Morocco (RBA)
8. Oujda Angads International Airport, Morocco (OUD)
9. Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Kenya (NBO)
10. Cairo International Airport, Egypt (CAI)
NOTE: The ranking was strictly done based on travelers votes for the best African international airport.