Linkin frontman Chester Bennington took his own life a few weeks ago and earlier this week, Bennington’s wife Talinda shared a video of him laughing with his family hours before taking his own life. She said that it showed “what depression looked like to us.”
The video showed him eating mystery flavored jellybeans with his children but it was a reminder that it is not always obvious. Some quotes over the years have provided insight into what it’s like living with what is essentially an illness.
These insights into depression can enable one to understand what it must be like for people living with it. They deal with the different aspects of the illness such as grief, sadness, loneliness and other related issues.
15 Insightful Quotes On Depression
- There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds. ― Laurell K. Hamilton
- Depression is like a bruise that never goes away. A bruise in your mind. You just got to be careful not to touch it where it hurts. It’s always there though.
- Whenever you read a cancer booklet or website or whatever, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer. But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying. ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
- Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
- People think depression is sadness. People think depression is crying. People think depression is dressing in black. But people are wrong. Depression is the constant feeling of being numb. Being numb to emotions, being numb to life. You wake up in the morning just to go back to bed again.
- Killing oneself is, anyway, a misnomer. We don’t kill ourselves. We are simply defeated by the long, hard struggle to stay alive. When somebody dies after a long illness, people are apt to say, with a note of approval, “He fought so hard.” And they are inclined to think, about a suicide, that no fight was involved, that somebody simply gave up. This is quite wrong. ― Sally Brampton
- Depression exists without you knowing it, even denying it. It is not an illusion. You don’t even know you’re in it. It takes a while before you realize it.
- Depression is the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced. . . . It is that absence of being able to envisage that you will ever be cheerful again. The absence of hope. That very deadened feeling, which is so very different from feeling sad. Sad hurts but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel. Depression is very different. ― J.K. Rowling
- You smile, but you wanna cry. You talk, but you wanna be quiet. You pretend like you’re happy but you aren’t.
- Losing your life is not the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing is to lose your reason for living.” ― Jo Nesbø
- Nobody ever tells you that emptiness weighs the most.
- Just because you think you’re worthless doesn’t make it true.
- Anyone who has actually been that sad can tell you that there’s nothing beautiful or literary or mysterious about depression.
- They ask. “How are you doing?” But what they mean is “Are you over it yet?” My lips say, “Fine, thanks”, but my eyes tell a different story, my heart sings a different tune, and my soul just weeps.
- You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective – it just means you’re human.