21 Chibok Girls Have Been Released To The Nigerian Government

Just 2 days after the International Girl Child Day, Boko Haram terrorists releases 21 Chibok girls to the Nigerian government.

The released girls were among over 200 students abducted from Chibok community, in Borno State on April 14, 2014.

The terrorist group has long been hoping to strike a deal with the Federal government to no avail, at least to the best of public knowledge.

See Also: Boko Haram Threatens To Abduct President Buhari In A New Video

With the latest development, it is quite clear that both parties seem to have reached an agreement. The negotiation is said to have involved the International Red Cross (ICRC) and the Swiss government.

So far it is uncertain if any of the convicted Boko Haram members were released in exchange for the girls. However, AFP news agency quoted a local source, saying that four Boko Haram prisoners were exchanged for the girls in Banki, northeast Nigeria.

After making demands of the release of their members, it was reported again that the sect was demanding trillions of naira to release the girls whom they keep guaranteeing are all alive and okay.

The release of the 21 Chibok girls was made public by the Nigerian government over the social media.


According to Mallam Garba Shehu, spokesman for the Nigerian President, the released 21 Chibok girls, whose names have not been disclosed, are in the custody of Malam Lawal Daura of the Directorate of Social Services (DSS).

See Also: Mother Of Chibok Girl Begs Nigerian Government To Release Boko Haram Prisoners In Exchange For Chibok Girls

In his tweet, it was gathered that the girls will soon be handed over to the Vice President.

“It is confirmed that 21 of the missing Chibok Girls have been released and are in the custody of the Department of State Services, DSS.”

Mallam Garba Shehu also added:

“The release of the girls, in a limited number is the outcome of negotiations between the administration and the Boko Haram brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government. The negotiations will continue.”