Ankara, which is known today as an important African fabric, was first manufactured in Dutch and made for the Indonesian market. It was later exported to West Africa and has since become an important attire in the continent. In the early days, the Ankara fabric was used to express religious, political, and cultural beliefs, as well as marital status. Recently, it has become something of a trendy fashion. It has not only been used in the making of dresses, but also in making different accessories like bags, shoes, jewelry, etc. More so, different luxury designer brands and celebrities have taken the Ankara game to a different level. Check out these irresistible short Ankara gown styles for women.
Short Flay Ankara Gown Styles For Women
1. Lace and Ankara with Elaborate Flare
This style has its upper half made of lace while the lower part is an elaborate Ankara flair with the back visibly longer than the front. The dress is best worn with a stiletto and some elegant jewelry. This style was worn by Nigerian actress, Ini Edo
2. Sleeveless Ankara Gown with Short Flare
This beautiful dress was worn by Nigerian actress Mercy Aigbe and it looks beautiful when worn with a stiletto. You may or may not wear a necklace alongside your earrings.
3. Pleating-Flare and Rose Sleeves
This is a safe option, as it will fit any body size perfectly well. Wearing it with a stiletto will give the best look, but a flat shoe can be worn in the absence of high heels. With or without jewelry, the dress looks gorgeous.
4. High Neck Flare Gown with Short Sleeves
If you love “all covering” dresses, you should try out this style. Despite being “all covering”, it still promises class and elegance. It is a perfect fit for all body types and will look good with a stiletto. A necklace is not needed, but large earrings can serve.
5. Net Sleeves and High Neck Flare Dress
This dress is good for different body sizes. Slim, medium, or fat people can rock it. It is stylish and best worn with stilettos or wedge heels. You can also add side pockets if you desire.
6. High Neck with Bowtie Ankara Gown
For fashionistas who like to do things outside the normal, this style will be a good fit. It is perfect for slim and middle-size ladies and can be worn with a wedge heel or stiletto. A necklace is not needed.
7. Peplum-on-Flare Ankara Style
This short Ankara gown style is best for slim and medium body size ladies. It is also not picky in terms of foot wares. Flat shoes, sandals, or any type of heel can go with it. You can also use a necklace and earrings.
8. V-Neck with Two-Step Flare
Another style that is a good fit for slim and medium body size ladies is the V-neck with two-step flair Ankara style. This style gives you the best appearance when worn with a stiletto. You can also wear a dress with flat shoes or sandals.
9. Flare Ankara with Long Funnel Sleeves
A good choice for a ceremonial dress. When worn with suitable jewelry, it makes you look gorgeous. The dress suits all body types and should be worn with any type of heely shoes.
10. Three-Step Flare Gown
Mercy Aigbe, a Nigerian actress wore this style with a flat shoe. However, it can be worn with heels as well. Also, it fits different body sizes and shapes. A good necklace and earrings will make you appear more stunning.
11. Turtleneck with Flare Sleeves
If you are fat or medium size, this style is good for you. Because both the body and sleeves are loose, there is no discomfort. You can rock this gown with a stiletto or any other type of heels that look good with it.
12. Long Sleeve and Off-Shoulder with Pleatings
This beautiful Ankara style is none selective in that it can be worn by anyone regardless of body size. Wearing a stiletto makes it look more stunning, but a wedge heel or flat shoe are also possible options to go with it.
13. Long Sleeves with Balloon and Short Pleating Gown
This beautiful dress can be breath-taking when properly sewn. Popular singer, Yemi Alade wore this dress with a pair of nice heels. Slim, medium-size, and curvy ladies can also rock this dress with any type of heel they prefer.
Short Ankara Gown Styles for Women
14. V-Neck Ankara Style with Long sleeves
Popular Ghanaian actress, Jackie Appiah rocked this design with her beautiful white sneakers to enjoy fashion and comfort in one outfit. Any simple and beautiful jewelry, (she wore simple gold jewelry) will do.
15. Open Shoulder and Turtleneck Style
This short and simple Ankara gown style can be worn with a flat shoe, a stiletto, or a sandal. It best fits curvy and slim ladies.
16. V-Neck Ankara Style with Flare Sleeves and Front Slit
Nadia Buhari, a Ghanian actress rocked this style with an endearing black Ankara fabric. All you need is a stiletto heel and elaborate earrings to match. You can do without a necklace if you don’t have any that fits.
17. Straight Length Ankara with Off-Shoulder Peplum Sleeves
The simple and beautiful style can be worn with any type of heel or flat shoe. Simple gold jewelry will add to its beauty. However, the color of the fabric will determine the best jewelry to go with it.
18. Below-the-knee Straight Gown with One Sleeve
This style is very simple and classy. You will look even more elegant if you wear it with a stiletto and elaborate earrings to match. The style does not require any necklace.
19. Short Off-shoulder Ankara Style
If you need something very casual, you should go for this style. It is simple and can be worn with any heel or a flat shoe. A good sandal can also fit. Wear your jewelry and bag to match.
20. Below-the-Knee Length Gown with Tiny Flare
This style is both simple and classy and it makes the wearer appear elegant, especially when worn with a stiletto. Popular actress Mercy Johnson rocked this style with a piece of orange and grey fabric.
21. V-Neck Ankara Gown with Large Breast Pocket
This is a very casual and safe dress. It will look good on any body size, but it best fits medium body size ladies. The best footwear to go with this dress is a sneaker. It gives both comfort and style.
22. Straight Gown with Funnel Sleeves
Talk about simple yet stylish. This option fits any body size while giving the wearer an elegant appearance. Wearing it with a stiletto that covers your toe makes them look even more perfect.
23. Plain Gown with Ankara Design
If you wish to combine Ankara with plain fabric, you should try out this style. The short gown with a beautiful Ankara design in front can be worn with a sneaker or stiletto slippers. This style is perfect for medium and large body size women.
24. Straight Gown with Elaborate Sleeves
Although this style of gown can be worn with a wide range of shoes, it is best worn with heels. Also, curvy, skim, and medium-size ladies will look good in it.
25. Loose Gown with High Neck
When you need simplicity and class in one outfit, this option comes in handy. Irrespective of your body size, the dress always looks beautiful. It is very classy when worn with heels. You may or may not use a necklace.
26. Smokey Style
Smokey style is made by sewing the entire cloth with elastic. This way, the cloth never needs adjustment whether you put on or lose weight. It is a perfect choice for curvy ladies who wish to flaunt their curves. It can also be worn by slim and medium-size ladies. You can wear it with any heels, sandals, or flat shoes.
27. Ankara Gown with Collar and Long Sleeves
Nigerian movie star, Nancy Isime showed off this lovely outfit with a black stiletto and Balenciaga handbag. The style can be worn by slim, medium size, curvy or fat ladies and any good heel will do justice to it. You can also wear sandals or flat shoes in the absence of heels.
28. Short Rosy Ankara Gown
This is a style unique to Nancy Isime, a popular Nollywood actress. Her unique fashion sense gave rise to this style and it can be worn by slim, curvy, and medium-size ladies. You can also rock it with a stiletto like she did, or go for any other type of heels most convenient for you.
Short Ankara Gown Styles for Pregnant Women
29. One Sleeve and Uneven End Gown
This is for women who still want to slay while pregnant. It is simple and beautiful, especially when worn with a stiletto. You can also use a heel of lower height. Either elaborate or simple jewelry will fit this style perfectly.
30. Flare Dress With Ankara Neck and Sleeve
If what you need is a touch of Ankara here and there, This style is a good choice. It was worn by Nigerian actress Mercy Johnson. It is best worn with a stiletto. A necklace is not needed, all you need are your earrings and any other accessory you desire.
31. Maternity Gown with High Neck
This gown for pregnant women can be worn with a flat shoe, stiletto, or even sneakers. It does not require a necklace, and you can wear simple or elaborate earrings. Also, it is a good choice for fat and medium body sizes.
32. Simple Flare with Spaghetti Sleeves
This style is simple and convenient for pregnant women. It can also be worn by ladies of different body sizes with heeled sandals or flat shoes.
33. Loose Gown with Off-Shoulder
This is a very comfortable and simple cloth choice for ladies, especially those who are pregnant. It can be worn with heels or sneakers. This style is also good for fat ladies.
34. Butterfly Style
This is a rather common style worn by different categories of people, but it usually looks very beautiful on pregnant women. It can be worn with flat shoes, sneakers, or heels. Wearing jewelry will also do justice to its appearance.
35. Loose Dress with Near-end Pleating
This is another gown women like to wear when they are pregnant because it is free and fashionable. It is also a good fit for fat people and ladies with medium body size. This gown can be worn with a sandal, heels, flat shoe, or sneaker, depending on the preference of the individual.
36. Butterfly Style with Embroidery
The bold embroidery in front is what distinguishes it from the regular butterfly style. It is also a perfect choice for pregnant women, fat and medium body ladies. It can be worn with any heels, flat shoes, or sandals.
37. Off-shoulder and Two-step Funnel Sleeves
Those pregnant women who want to feel comfortable and look stunning in their dress should consider making this style. It looks even more classy when worn with heels, a wedge heel or a stiletto. It can also fit any other body type.
38. Flare Gown with Cape and Front Pockets
A perfect choice for pocket freaks! It is also beautifully styled such that a pregnant woman can still wear it after delivery. Also, ladies who are not pregnant can rock it irrespective of their body size. Wearing it with a stiletto is best, even though it can still go with a flat shoe.
39. Umbrella Style
Not only is it simple and easy on the eye, but this is also very easy to make. This Ankara style hangs loosely over the shoulders which helps to keep it in position. Any good heel type can go with this dress. A flat shoe or sandal can also go.
40. Loose Gown with One-sided Off-shoulder
Rock your pregnancy with a beautiful Ankara dress. This style is not only fitting for pregnant women but fat and medium body size ladies too. Whether you choose to wear a shoe, heels or sandals, you will still look good in the dress.
Breakdown of Short Ankara Gown Styles for Women that You Can Wear This Year
- Lace and Ankara with Elaborate Flare
- Sleeveless Ankara Gown with Short Flare
- Pleating-Flare and Rose Sleeves
- High Neck Flare Gown with Short Sleeves
- Net Sleeves and High Neck Flare Dress
- High neck with Bowtie Ankara Gown
- Peplum-on-Flare Ankara Style
- V-Neck with Two-Step Flare
- Flair Ankara with Long Funnel Sleeves
- Three-Step Flare Gown
- Turtleneck with Flare Sleeves
- Long Sleeve and Off-Shoulder with Pleatings
- Long Sleeves with Balloon and Short Pelating Gown
- V-Neck Ankara Style with Long sleeves
- Open Shoulder and Turtleneck Style
- V-Neck Ankara Style with flare sleeves and front slit
- Straight Length Ankara with Off-Shoulder Peplum sleeves
- Below-the-knee Straight Gown with One Sleeve
- Short Off-Shoulder Ankara Style
- Below-the-Knee Length Gown with Tiny Flare
- V-Neck Ankara Gown with Large Breast Pocket
- Straight Gown with Funnel Sleeves
- Plain Gown with Ankara Design
- Straight Gown with Elaborate Sleeves
- Loose Gown with High Neck
- Smokey Style
- Ankara Gown with Collar and Long Sleeves
- Short Rosy Ankara Gown
- One Sleeve and Uneven End Gown
- Flare Dress With Ankara Neck and Sleeve
- Maternity Gown with High Neck
- Simple Flare with Spaghetti Sleeves
- Loose Gown with Off Shoulder
- Butterfly Style
- Loose Dress with Near-End Pleating
- Butterfly Style with Embroidery
- Off-Shoulder and Two-Step Funnel Sleeves
- Flare Gown with Cape and Front Pockets
- Umbrella Style
- Loose Gown with One-Sided Off-Shoulder