Just like many other commercial banks on the African continent and in Nigeria in particular, Access Bank PLC has been experiencing significant technological advancements in recent times; from mobile banking to internet banking and of course, the simplified USSD code system that seems to have taken over the sector. With the advent of USSD codes, people who would normally go to the banking halls to consummate certain transactions can now sit back in their homes and offices to accomplish them. What’s more, is that the USSD code system of banking does not require the use of a smartphone neither does it call for data.
All banks have their designated USSD codes, and for Access Bank it is *901#. From this root code, several other affixations are added to tailor the code to different transactions. For instance, to pay bills, you dial *901*3# while *901*5# goes for balance inquiry. Transfers can be effected with *901*1# while *901*2# for in-house and inter-bank transfers respectively. USSD code transactions are secure, convenient, and easy and have become very popular among people.
Banking Without a Smartphone
As already mentioned, there are a lot of innovations in the banking sector in this era of technological advancement. Most of the “off-the-branch” transactions we carry out today are done via smartphones like leveraging the mobile banking app, or perhaps you wish to conclude a transaction via a bank’s internet banking platform.
However, with the advent of the USSD codes, banking without smartphones has become possible and it is the fastest means of conducting transactions like money transfers, bill payments, and airtime & data purchases. More recently, the banks have even introduced special USSD codes targeted at curtailing fraud.
How To Register and Create a Transaction Pin For USSD Banking with Access Bank
A customer of the bank who was not previously on USSD banking does not need to get to the banking hall to register. Just get the phone number that receives alerts for your account and dial *901*0# and follow the ensuing prompts. At a point, the customer will be required to generate a transaction PIN; this will be needed for authenticating transactions in the future.
Creating and Changing Transaction Pin
Carrying out a USSD transaction on an Access Bank account requires a PIN, for security purposes. To create your own PIN, follow the under-listed steps.
- Get the phone number registered with the bank
- Dial *901#.
- When the menu appears, select 8 (NEXT)
- Then select 5 (CREATE PIN) – this is the option for creating and resetting the PIN
- Get your Access Bank ATM card and enter the last four digits of the card number.
- You will be required to choose a four to six digits security PIN
Once this code is entered, it becomes valid for the authentication of all transactions.
In the event that a customer’s USSD PIN is not working or it has been forgotten, the person still has the opportunity of resetting the PIN. The steps below will do the trick.
- Dial *901#
- Press 4 to get a PIN reset and follow the ensuing instructions
- You will be required to impute the old pin first
- Then, you will need to enter your choice new four-digit PIN
It is important to note that the Access Bank USSD code can only be used on an account with a single signatory. Thus, accounts that are jointly owned are not eligible for 901 banking. Besides, there must be BVN on the account and it must not have a restriction (post-no-debit), and must be denominated in naira.
What Can 901 Banking Do For You
With the 901 Access Bank USSD code, customers can carry out a plethora of self-services that include:
- Transfer of Funds
- Open Account
- Buy Airtime
- Check Balance
- Pay Bills
- Pay Merchants
- Check BVN
- Get Account Statement
How To Open An Account In Access Bank Using The USSD Code
Prospective customers who wish to open accounts with Access Bank no longer need to be physically present in the banking hall. All you need is a mobile phone and the USSD code 901*0#. Just follow the steps below;
- Get the phone number you wish to use for the registration
- Dial *901*0# on the phone and follow the ensuing prompts
- Your personal information can be used to open the account and you can also use your Bank Verification Number.
- Once you have provided all the necessary information, you will receive an SMS with your account number.
Customers should note that registration does not attract any charges and as soon as the account opening process is completed, customers can have immediate access to it. Remember, anytime you wish to transact on the account, the authentication token provided by the bank must be used for it to be effective.
Those that were not provided with an authentication token can remedy that by visiting any branch of Access Bank to request their transaction PIN.
To check your BVN through the 901 banking system, just get your registered phone number and dial *901#. Then, follow the ensuing prompts and you Bank Verification Number will appear on the screen within a few second.
With the new Access Bank USSD code, buying airtime for yourself, friends, and loved ones has been made easy. Just follow these steps:
This method will be used to buy airtime for the phone number registered with Access Bank. Dial *901*Amount# on the number connected to your account. For instance, if you wish to purchase N500 worth of airtime, just dial *901*500# and start making calls immediately after you receive the success message.
For Friends and Loved Ones
Buying for a friend is a bit different from buying for yourself. Here, the person’s phone number must go into the mix. Dial *901*amount*phone number#. For instance, buying N500 worth of airtime for a friend with the mobile number, 08060000000 entails dialing *901*500*08060000000#.
Checking Account Number
In the event that a customer of Access Bank needs to retrieve his account number with the bank, the person should dial *901# on the mobile number connected to his account and follow the ensuing instructions.
Checking Account Balance
Customers whose accounts are domiciled with Access Bank are at liberty to check their account status 24/7 irrespective of their location. Important to note that this service comes free of charge. Follow the under-listed steps:
- Get the phone number linked to your Access Bank account and dial *901*5#
- You will be prompted to enter your security code. Your account balance will be generated immediately after the correct PIN is imputed.
Access Bank 901 banking has made buying data so easy. You can purchase for all the networks by dialing *901*8#.
The 901 banking system can be used to transfer money within access Bank as well as in inter-bank transfers.
In-house Transfer (Access Bank to Access Bank Account)
In-house transfers mean moving funds from one account to another within the same bank. Here, the money does not go out of the bank.
- To effect an in-house transfer, the customer should dial *901*1*amount*NUBAN Account Number#.
- For instance, transferring the sum of N5,000 to an Access Bank account with the number 1234567890 will entail dialing *901*1*5000*1234567890#.
Remember, you must always use the phone number connected to your account. Just select the bank type and go ahead to authenticate the transaction by entering your four-digit PIN.
Inter-bank transfers entail moving funds from one bank to another. Here the funds go outside Access Bank.
- If this is the case, the customer will need to dial *901*2*amount*NUBAN Account Number#.
- For instance, sending the sum of N5,000 to account number 1234567890 in another bank, the code to type is *901*2*5000*1234567890#.
- Select the bank type and authenticate the transaction by entering your four-digit PIN
Transferring to an Access Bank account attracts a service charge of N20. On the flip side, inter-bank transfers attract a N50 service charge plus N2.50 as Value Added Tax Charge.
The 901 banking system method has also simplified the process of bill payment. Now, you can sit in the comfort of your home or office to pay bills for DSTV, Smile, Swift, and much more. All you need to do is dial the code *901*3#. This prompts some instruction to appear. Follow the prompts and complete payment for your favorite networks.
|1.||Airtime for self||*901*Amount#|
|2.||Airtime for others||*901*Amount*Phone Number#|
|6.||In-house transfers||*901*1*Amount*Account Number#|
|7.||Inter-bank transfers||*901*2*Amount*Account Number#|
|8.||Merchant Payment||*901*3*Amount*Merchant Code#|
Curtailing Fraud with The Self-Service USSD Codes
We cannot conclude the talk about the Access Bank 901 banking system without mentioning the latest self-service USSD code, *901*911# which is solely targeted towards curtailing fraudulent activities. The code is regarded as the bank’s commitment to safeguarding the savings and investment of its customers.
Once a customer loses his or her mobile device, the person can leverage the code to swiftly deactivate their USSD profile. This can be accomplished on any alternative mobile device within reach. The *901*911# self-service code gives customers the full autonomy needed to safeguard their investments and funds even before directing official reports to the Bank. The process is as follows:
- You suspect that your mobile device has entered the wrong hands
- Get any available phone number and dial *901*911#
- Enter the phone number connected to the account you wish to blacklist
- This automatically blocks and blacklists your USSD profile instantly
What are the Benefits of Using USSD Code
The banking USSD comes with a plethora of benefits to the customers.
- It has drastically reduced the incidences of going to the banking halls to perform most transactions.
- The code is distinguished from the banking app as it does not require the customer to first visit the app store, download the app, and install it. All you need do is familiarize yourself with the various codes for each transaction and you are good to go.
- Those expecting funds into their accounts no longer need to make repeated trips to the banking hall to check whether the money has entered as your bank’s designated USSD code will take care of it right from the comfort of your home. Even those who wish to open a bank account can do the same.
- On the part of the banking industry, the introduction of the USSD code has reduced the crowd of customers that normally flood the banking halls in the past. Bank’s customer-facing staff now have lesser people to deal with as most transactions are completed outside the bank.
- Customers who wish to make withdrawals from the ATM but forgot to go along with their debit cards can solve the problem by entering their bank’s designated USSD code and make cardless withdrawals.
- With the advent of the USSD codes, making internet banking transactions when you have misplaced your token is possible; the USSD code can be leveraged to generate a token that can be used in completing the transaction
- A USSD comes in handy in instances like when a customer wishes to check their loan status, check the status of their payment card, check their cheque book status, make ATM deposits, and make transfers on Western Union.
- Another benefit of the USSD code is that it makes it possible for customers to enjoy banking services from their homes, offices and while on the go. In fact, this can be expressed in two words: convenience and comfort
- The USSD codes are usually very simple and easy to remember. Thus, most customers prefer to use them; the educated, the uneducated, the old, and the young. Just about anybody can use the code regardless of whether the person is enlightened or not. It is more simplified than the mobile app that requires you to download and install the app first before transacting.
- Again, using the USSD code to make banking transactions does not call for the use of internet data. It does not cost anything to enjoy the service, unlike the mobile app where internet data must be used for you to complete a transaction.
- You don’t need to spend large sums of money to purchase a smartphone to use the USSD codes. Transactions can be done from any mobile device. This distinguishes the USSD code system from the banking apps that require the use of a smartphone.
- All USSD codes for each bank are inter-related. For instance, the one for Access Bank is called 901 banking and the code for all the transactions must start with *901* making it easy to remember.
- It is available to be used 24/7.
- The USSD code system comes with inbuilt security, making it impossible for another person to gain access to a customer’s bank account.