African Story Challenge was a $1 million programme reporting grants developed for African journalists which was launched in Addis Ababa on Sunday May 26, during African Union 50th anniversary celebrations. The aim was to award more than 100 reporting grants for in-depth coverage on stories on development issues affecting Africa.
The competition offered journalists grants in support of investigative, multimedia and data-driven stories and contents that aim to drive improvement to health and prosperity across the African continent.
Journalists who won the grants received either cash prices or were sponsored on an international reporting trip.
Africa’s largest association of media owners and operators – African Media Initiative (AMI)was the brainchild of The African Story Challenge.
In reality, the challenge encouraged journalists to experiment with new content ideas, finding out new ways to engage audiences using several platforms such as mobile technology, social media and other readily available digital tools.
According to AMI Chief Executive Amadou Mahtar Ba added, “It is essential to encourage and reward African journalists and news organisations that go the extra mile to deliver high-quality digital news and information to promote transparency, accountability and a higher quality of life for our citizens. We can reboot journalism in Africa by incentivizing stories that count.”
The African Story Challenge was financially supported by an $800,000 grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the African Development Bank and the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (Agra).
Some of the interesting story themes and categories that were covered include the following:
Culture: The African culture is so diverse that there were a good number of interesting stories coming into this category.
Religion: Africa is a very religious continent and the diversity of various beliefs thriving within the continent made this one of the most interesting categories.
Crime: Crime happens every day. Get all the latest scoop on gripping crime stories from all across Africa
Timeless: Get inside the stories that stay relevant across ages and generations, learn how they unfold and keep abreast of the recent developments
Profile: Prominent personalities across Africa that are inspiring or otherwise; so long as they are considered relevant in some way.
Travel: Let the stories on this page take you on a journey to the African continent and explore amazing wonders of nature.
Bizarre: Bizarre stories and news articles happening all across the African continent.
Science: Science and technology is fast developing in Africa and these stories tell it as it is.
History: Africa has a very rich history that started even prior to the influx of colonial masters. These stories and news articles explore those.
Arts and Literature: Some of the global heavyweights and greatest minds in literature emanate from Africa. Get insights into their works here.
Humour: Great funny and humorous story contents
How To: Interesting tidbits on how things how to perform some tasks.
Love & Romance: Read some of the stories told about love and get all the inside scoop about romance as exercised by popular Africans
Q & A: Interesting questions and answers about Africa that you may want to know.
Mystery: Check out misteries of Africa and the stories surrounding them as they are well covered in this segment.
Read African stories from modern day African perspective below:
- Nigerian History: 10 Notable Moments in the History of Nigeria
- 10 Remarkable African Leaders and Warriors in History
- 10 Famous Women Leaders In History
- 10 Greatest and Most Famous Warriors Ever
- Ghana Empire – 10 Timeless Events of Ancient Ghana Kingdom
- 5 Most Powerful African Kings From History
- 5 Most Powerful African Queens From History
- Everything You Must Know About African Slave Trade
- 10 Disturbing Facts about World War 1
- 10 Things You Have Never Heard About Ancient Egypt
- World War 2 Facts: 10 Things You Didn’t Know
- Top 10 Worst Dictators of Africa
- 50+ African Cities That Were Ruined By The Europeans
- 14 African Countries Who Still Pay Colonial Tax To France
- 10 Things Every African Must Know About Cleopatra
- This Is The True Size of Africa – You’ve Been Wrong All Along
- South Africa Apartheid: Everything You Should Know
- 20 Common Misconceptions About Africa You Need To Get Right
- 10 Weird Africa Facts You Have Never Heard Of
- 15 Africa’s Most Prominent Secret Cults Of All Time
- Racism: Why Blacks Are Despised All Over The World
- African Empires That Have Been So Easily Forgotten
- 5 Cultural Marvels By Africans That Other People Get Credit For
- 10 Great African War Lords Who Resisted European and Arab Domination
- The 20th Century World Most Noted Revolutionaries
- Before Greece And Rome Was, These Antique Sensations Were
- 8 Most Horrific And Inhuman Black Slaves Punishment In The History Of Slavery
- Disgraceful Cruelty: See How Blacks Were Displayed In Zoos By European Racists
- Top Female Political Leaders Of The 20th Century
- Children’s Book Sparks Outrage As It Depicts Happy Slaves
- Evidence Of First Mass Murder Progresses The Nature Vs Nurture Argument
- A Quick Leap Year History Lesson
- Ghana Turns 59: Quick Facts And Prospects
- Remembering Haile Selassie: Grandson Makes Another Historical Visit To The Caribbeans
- Izuogu Z-600 Blazed The Trail For Contemporary African-made Cars
- Remembering Kwame Nkrumah On This Day With 20 Quotes
- China Might As Well Be A Part Of Africa
- Viva! Viva! South Africans! The Day Madiba Made History
- See 100 Years Of Beauty In Kenya– From Mama Ngina To Lupita Nyong’o
- The CIA Had A Hand In Mandela’s 1962 Arrest
- Gorgeous! See 100 Years Of Beauty In Ethiopia
- Check Out Other Ways The CIA Meddled In African Affairs
- Everything You Need To Know About The Haitian Hero – Black Napoleon
- Every Nigerian Knows This Book But Not The Story Behind It
- It’s Africa Day! Let’s Celebrate! Or Meditate?
- Soweto Blues: Facts Behind The South African Classic Song
- Israel’s Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu Makes Historical Visit To Uganda
- Rwanda’s Liberation Day: Celebrating Post-Genocidal Changes
- Meet The Black Woman Who Blazed The Trail For Hillary Clinton
- Meet The Black Men The World Cannot Afford To Forget In a Hurry
- What Do You Know About Benin Bronze Figures?
- International Day For The Remembrance Of The Slave Trade And Its Abolition
- Interesting Facts About The Efik People Of Nigeria
- Academics Think The Term ‘Sub-Saharan Africa’ Is Racist
- DNA Proof That Modern Humans Came From Africa
- President Obama Unveils African American Museum Built By Ghanaian Architect
- Check Out The Ancient African Female Warriors From Benin Republic
- Africa’s Original Headrest Before Pillows Came Into The Picture
- Burkina Faso Immortalizes Thomas Sankara In New Project
- Africa Is The Cradle Of Modern Civilization- See Facts
- What Africa Should Learn From The Marxists – Thomas Sankara & Fidel Castro
- SA Flags To Be Flown At Half Mast For Fidel Castro – This Is Why South Africa Respects The Hero
- Like Father Like Son… 46 Years After His Father Was President, Nana Akufo-Addo Is Ghanaian President-Elect
- Remembering The Day SA Launched It’s First TV Transmissions In 1976… Happy 41st Anniversary SABC
- Nigeria’s Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu In Retrospect – Fani Kayode Pays Respect
- 50 Years Later, FBI Makes A U-Turn And Honors Martin Luther King Jr.
- Kensington Palace: Diana’s Sons To Immortalize Mum On Her 20th Memorial
- Afro-Jewish Genealogy: Israeli Scientists Set To Trace Relations With South-Easterners In Nigeria
- February 14: 10 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know About St Valentine
- Makonde Community: 60 Years Later, Finally Recognized As Kenyans
- Namibian Genocide: Descendants Sue Germany For A $30 Billion Reparation
- Interesting Facts About The Oromo Ethnic Group Of Ethiopia
- Finally Recognized: France Is Giving Citizenship To African Soldiers Who Fought Its Wars 50 Years Back
- Afro-Iranians: The Little Known Truth About Iran’s Slave Trade
- Ethiopia: Archaeologists Have Just Discovered An Ancient Islamic City[Photos]
- Queens Of Africa: The Women Who Have Shaped Africa As Illustrated By Onyinye Iwu
- Why Did Kenya Add Asians To Their List Of Tribes?
- Hiroshima & Nagasaki: 6 Quick Facts About The Historical Tragedies
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Remembering The Le Joola Disaster: Africa’s Own Titantic
- Nigeria At 57: Five Of The Country’s Proudest Moments
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Roulette: History and Everything Else You Should Know
- Interesting Facts About The Origin Of Birthdays And Birthday Cakes
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World