Aziz Istanbul Attack– Burkina Faso has reported an attack in a Turkish restaurant in the country’s capital, Ouagadougou killing at least 18 persons and 20 wounded.
According to the authorities 2 of the gunmen have been killed.
The attack was launched in the late hours of Sunday. Witnesses say the attack started at about 21.00 GMT(9 pm). The gunmen arrived in motorcycles and opened fire on the diners outside the restaurant.
The police forces were alerted and they stormed the crime scene. They engaged in a shoot out with the Islamist till the early hours of Monday morning. A soldier suggested some were held hostage on the first and second floor.
Aziz Istanbul Restaurant is a foreign owned restaurant in Burkina Faso’s capital city.
The recent attack appears to be a repeat of the January 2016 attack when Al-shaabab terrorists stormed the favorite spots for foreigners- The Splendid Hotel and the Cappuccino restaurant.
At least 30 people were killed in the attack while over 150 were held hostage. The al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) group claimed responsibility for the attack in conjunction with a jihadist group known as Al Mourabitoun.
In March alone, Burkina Faso experienced 2 separate attacks. First, 2 police posts were attacked as the country anticipated the Fespaco film festival; 3 people were left dead.
Later on the Jihadist abducted 2 people and burnt down a school.
It sends a striking message that the latest Aziz Istanbul attack took place 200 metres away from the Splendid Hotel. Aziz Istanbul Restaurant is located in a 2-storey building at Kwame Nkrumah Avenue.
Burkina Faso is a West African country that has been battling with insurgency since 2012. The Islamic extremists have carried out series of deadly attacks since then.
Report says that of those killed from the attack, at least 2 have been identified so far as foreign nationals. One has been confirmed to be a Turkish.
An unnamed paramedic said:
“We evacuated 11 people but one of them, a Turk, died on arriving at hospital,”
According to Remi Dandjinou, the country’s communications minister, says more foreign nationals including a French national was also killed.
In response to that, the French embassy in Ouagadougou has advised French people in the city to keep away from the restaurant for the time being.
To avoid more casualties the police ensured the evacuation of civilians before engaging in the shoot out with the terrorists. The gunmen were said to be 4 in number.
Batting the jihadists’ attacks in the Sahel region has seen the set up of a multinational force to the effect. The security force will commence work before the year runs out.
Other African countries in the Sahel region that battle jihadist attacks of a heightened magnitude includes Mali and Nigeria. Both countries have suffered incessant attacks from Islamic terrorists.
In Burkina Faso, it is believed that the Jihadists are usually “homegrown”. However the 2016 Hotel attack were carried out by foreign extremists.
So far no group has claimed responsibility for the Aziz Istanbul attack.