Che Guevara Quotes– Ernesto Che Guevara originally hails from Argentina. He was a medical doctor, guerrilla leader, prolific writer, and diarist.
The Marxist revolutionary was Fidel Castro’s right-hand man. He worked closely with the Castro brothers to topple the Batista government (a government that made the entire country a puppet for the United States).
Growing up, Ernesto was a lover of books and poetry. Due to his frequent asthma attacks, ‘Che’ was homeschooled. He found great interest in the works of Karl Max, Engels, and Lenin.
In 1947, Ernesto had enrolled into the University of Buenos Aires to study medicine.
Upon graduation and his personal interest to tour the world, he witnessed the depth of injustices and marginalization of the people. From there his life plan changed forever. He condemned capitalism and advocated for communism.
The Cuban freedom is incomplete without him in the picture. Ernesto teamed up with Fidel Castro and made the Cuban revolution a success.
After the revolution, the political zealot was made the Central Bank Governor and a minister. Che was, however, also accused of hundreds of extra-judicial killings.
Ernesto’s anger and fight against capitalism were not limited to Cuba alone. Thus, after Cuba, he availed himself to the plight of the underprivileged in most Southern American countries.
“I feel such a patriotism for Latin America… that in the moment it might be necessary, I would be ready to yield my life for the liberation of any Latin American nation, without asking anybody anything, without demanding anything, without exploiting anyone.”
He met his heroic end in Bolivia. Che was a husband and father of five children- Aleida, Hilda, Camilio, Cecilia, and Ernesto.
Ernesto Che Guevara is a historic and revolutionary figure whom many still rever for his sacrifice and passion to see the poor live a better life. Time magazine listed him as one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century.
Here are some of Che Guevara quotes you need to know:
1. To accomplish much you must first lose everything.
2. The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality.
3. Everyday People straighten up the hair, why not the heart?
4. The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.
5. We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.
6. Better to die standing, than to live on your knees.
7. Silence is argument carried out by other means.
8. Wealth is far from being within the reach of the masses simply through the process of appropriation.
9. I know you are here to kill me. Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man.
10. Passion is needed for any great work, and for the revolution, passion and audacity are required in big doses.
11. If you have the capacity to tremble with indignation every time that an injustice is committed in the world, then we are comrades.
12. Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.
13. I don’t care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting.
14. The best form of saying is being.
15. Live your life not celebrating victories, but overcoming defeats.
16. There are frontiers in this struggle to the death… A victory of any member against imperialism is our victory, just as any country’s defeat is a defeat to all.
17. I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves.
18. Every person has the truth in his heart. No matter how complicated his circumstances, no matter how others look at him from the outside, and no matter how deep or shallow the truth dwells in his heart, once his heart is pierced with a crystal needle, the truth will gush forth like a geyser.
19. It’s a sad thing not to have friends, but it is even sadder not to have enemies.
20. Democracy cannot consist solely of elections that are nearly always fictitious and managed by rich landowners and professional politicians.