Chloe X Halle is an American contemporary R&B duo which consists of two sisters named Chloe Bailey and Halle Bailey. The sisters began as YouTubers performing covers of popular artists including Beyonce. Their performance of her “Pretty Hurts” eventually drew her attention to the girls and subsequently, she signed them to her Parkwood Entertainment music label.
Earlier in 2016, Chloe X Halle made a leap from YouTube to the biggest music video of that year, Beyoncé’s Lemonade. The duo has earned a lot of nominations, including NAACP Image Awards, BET Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, MTV Europe Music Awards, Soul Train Music Awards, and the 2019 Grammy Award for Best New Artist and Best Urban Contemporary Album for their debut album, The Kids Are Alright.
Chloe X Halle Bio
Chloe and Halle Bailey were born on the 1st of July 1998, and March 27, 2000, respectively. They were both born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, to Courtney (mom) and Doug Bailey (dad).
The sisters started exploring their singing abilities from the time they were little. For the younger one, Halle, watching her older sister sing or dance spurred her. According to her, it was after she started following Chloe that she realized she was not just imitating her, having realized that she had a passion for singing, acting, and all the things they did together.
Chloe X Halle started off as two young YouTubers, launching their channel in 2008 when they were just 10 and 8 years old. On the channel, they performed covers of pop songs including songs of artists like Beyoncé, Adele, Katy Perry, and Rihanna. From there, their fan base grew. Also in 2008, the girls’ father began teaching them how to write, paying more attention to basic song structure. The first few songs they wrote were horrible, Halle said, but as time went on, they turned out beautiful lyrics.
The insanely talented sisters continued doing their thing on YouTube and finally hit it big after they uploaded their remarkable cover of Beyonce’s Pretty Hurts on Dec 22, 2013. From then on, different recording labels chased them around, all of which the sisters and their parents turned down because according to their father, they were afraid that they would be ripped off financially, as is often the case in the music industry, particularly for newbies.
They did not also want to be faced with the same hindrance they encountered in the acting industry where many casting agents refused to hire the girls, asking that they do away with their dreadlocks and straighten their hair.
However, their rendition of Pretty Hurts which received a whirlwind of views and shares got to Beyonce and she shared the video on her Facebook page. Shortly after, Chloe X Halle secured a $1 million contract with the super celebrity’s Parkwood Entertainment music label.
On the 16th of April 2016, the duo released their debut EP, Sugar Symphony, which was followed by singles like “Drop” and “Fall”. The following year, they released the critically acclaimed The Two of Us, a project which they described as not an album and not really a mixtape. It featured fresh songs most of which were written and produced by the duo.
Chloe X Halle released the theme song for the sitcom series, Grown-ish in December 2017. They became part of the cast as series regular although they initially signed for recurring roles. Shortly after they released Grown, the super-talented girls released their debut album track, “The Kids Are Alright”, which featured very much in the debut episode of the series.
Their debut album The Kids Are Alright, written and executively produced by them, was finally released on March 23, 2018.
Facts You Need To Know About Chloe & Halle Bailey
1. The sisters learned how to play the guitar (Halle) and the piano (Chloe) on YouTube by watching tutorials on how to play their favorite songs.
2. Chloe X Halle recorded their EP and a lot of their originals in their Los Angeles home studio.
3. In 2016, the Atlanta-born sisters made a guest appearance in Beyonce’s Lemonade alongside other stars like Serena Williams, Zendaya, and Amandla Stenberg. Later that year, they went with Beyonce on the European leg of The Formation World Tour, serving as the opening act. On May 31, 2018, it was announced that the R&B duo would be the opening act for the North American leg of Beyonce’s and Jay-Z‘s On the Run II Tour, alongside DJ Khaled.
4. The sisters cannot live without their matte lip stains from Beauty Bakerie and Anastasia, Chloe revealed. According to her, they love being bare-faced with big bold lips because it gives one the feeling of having a full face of makeup, even when you don’t. Speaking of another must-have for them, Halle said coconut oil is their best friend. It helps them maintain their hair and skin.
5. Chloe’s red carpet essential is a handmade choker. She makes them herself with fabric, bows, and ribbons and as long as it does not clash with her outfit, she said, she must have one on. On the other hand, Halle’s is a Lorraine Schwartz necklace with five hearts on it given to her by Beyonce.
6. America’s former First Lady, Michelle Obama, is a huge fan of the girls. She even invited them to open her keynote at the South by Southwest Music, Film + Interactive Festival, and feature on her song, “This Is for My Girls”.