South Korean pop band, CNBLUE was formed in 2009 by FNC Entertainment. But unlike most of their counterparts who initially launch in their home country, the group first debuted in Japan with an EP titled Now or Never. The pop band, however, later debuted in South Korea in 2010 with the lead single from their first Korean album, Bluetory, titled “I’m a Loner”.
CNBLUE was a quartet comprising Jung Yong-hwa, Kang Min-hyuk, Lee Jung-shin and Lee Jong-hyun until August 2019 when Lee Jong-hyun, the band’s lead vocalist, left as a result of his involvement in the ‘Burning Sun’ scandal. Read on to discover all the facts you need to know about the pop band and its current members.
CNBLUE Members Profile
Following Lee Jong-hyun’s departure, CNBLUE became a trio consisting of Jung Yong-hwa, Kang Min-hyuk, and Lee Jung-shin. Here are their individual profiles:
Yonghwa – Band Leader
Apart from being the leader, Yonghwa serves as a main vocalist, rapper, guitarist and visual on CNBLUE. He was born on 22nd June 1989, making him the oldest member of the band. His full name is Jung Yong-Hwa. His bandmates, however, nicknamed him ‘Yong Choding’ due to his jokester/prankster nature.
In addition to being a singer/rapper and guitarist, Yonghwa is a songwriter, music composer, record producer, and actor. Aside from his projects with CNBLUE, Yonghwa has two solo studio albums, one EP, and over five singles to his credit. He has appeared in several TV dramas and series including You‘re Beautiful, Gentleman’s Dignity, Marry Him If You Dare, The Three Musketeers, and The Package, among others. He also plays other instruments including the clarinet, piano and drums.
Minhyuk – Drummer
Minhyuk is the drummer of CNBLUE; he, however, also serves as a vocalist. He was born as Kang Min-hyuk on 28th June, 1990. Minhyuk learned to drum from his father who is a drums tutor. He then got glued to band music after he listened to the Los Angeles pop band, Maroon5.
In addition to singing and playing drums, Minhyuk acts and writes songs. He has featured in numerous television films and shows such as Acoustic, It’s Okay, Daddy’s Girl, Heartstrings, My Husband Got a Family, The Heirs, Entertainer, Hospital Ship, and more. He has so far received four awards and numerous nominations for his acting performances.
Minhyuk attended the Digital Seoul Culture Arts University. He is said to be the cleanest and tidiest member of CNBLUE.
Jungshin – Bassist
In addition to being the bassist, Jungshin is CNBLUE’s main rapper and vocalist. Born as Lee Jung-shin on 15th September 1991, Jungshin is the youngest member of the band, and therefore, the group’s maknae. He is, however, the tallest and most hilarious of the CNBLUE members. Jungshin attended the Jung Bal High School in Ilsan, the same town where he was born and brought up.
Just like his bandmates, Jungshin also works as an actor and TV presenter. He has, therefore, featured in several films and TV shows/series including My Husband Got a Family, Seo-Young, The Blade and Petal, Temptation, Cinderella and Four Knights, My Sassy Girl, and My First Love.
CNBLUE Info & Trivia
1. The band’s name, CNBLUE is an acronym. While CN stands for Code Name, BLUE is the initials for Burning, Lovely, Untouchable, and Emotional.
2. CNBLUE’s debut Korean album, Bluetory, topped the Gaon Album Chart for two weeks following its release. The album’s lead single “I’m a Loner” also reached #2 on the Gaon Digital Chart.
3. The band had their first televised performance on 15th January, 2010 on the KBS program, Music Bank.
4. CNBLUE is the first band to top South Korean music programs within the shortest time after their debut. The group achieved this feat on 29th January 2010, just two weeks after their Korean debut.
5. The pop band made their first Oricon Top 40 Chart appearance in 2010 with their single titled “The Way” which peaked at #26. Later in the year, they reached the Chart’s Top 10 for the first time with their song “I Don’t Know Why”.
6. In 2012, CNBLUE became the first foreign band to hit #1 on Japan’s Oricon Singles Chart with their single “Where Are You” which they released on 1st February of the same year. The song sold over 60,000 in the first week of its release.
7. Still, in 2012, CNBLUE was the only Korean act to perform at the year’s iQiyi All-Star Carnival in Beijing, China where they emerged as the Golden Disk Awards’ Best Asian Group.
8. In 2013, the group also became the first South Korean rock band to embark on an expansive world tour with their Blue Moon World Tour which touched a total of fourteen countries in Asia, Europe, North and South America, and Australia.
9. Right from its inception, CNBLUE operated alternately in Japan and Korea. So far, they have released over 2 Korean and 8 Japanese studio albums, 8 Korean and 2 Japanese EPs, and 11 Korean and 14 Japanese singles.
10. The band engages actively in charity, frequently donating both money and items to those in need. They also embark on the rare gesture of building academic centers called the CNBLUE Schools. So far, they have accomplished this feat in Burkina Faso in Africa and The Philippines in Asia.