The South Korean music star Shin Hyo-seob, also known by his stage name Crush is currently enjoying a successful comeback. The singer, who was signed to Amoeba Culture entertainment label for six years took to Instagram in June 2019 to announce his departure and the switch to P-Nation; PSY’s new music label. Meanwhile, P-Nation also houses artists such as Jessi, HyunA, PSY, and Hyojong.
The South Korean R&B, K-pop, and hip-hop singer made his debut to South Korean fans on June 5, 2014, under Amoeba Culture with his first album, Crush on You. Born on May 3, 1992, the singer is a native of Seoul, South Korea. Standing at a height of 5 feet 9 inches (or 175 cm) and weighing 139 pounds (or 63 kg), Crush’s zodiac sign is Taurus.
His Music Career and Rise to Fame
Before his official debut in the K-pop world, Crush released the Red Dress on December 7, 2012. He followed this up with two other singles; Crush on You and Where Do You Wanna Go. On April Fool’s Day, 2014, Crush officially debuted with his single Sometimes. It was the leading single off his debut album Crush on You, peaking at No. 8 on Gaon Digital Chart.
The following year, Crush collaborated with Zion.T for the single Just. Their song debuted at No. 1 on the Gaon Singles Chart and won Best Collaboration & Unit at the 17th Mnet Asian Music Awards. In January 2016, Crush featured SNSD‘s Taeyeon in his new song titled Don’t Forget. Crush′s ′honey voice′ and range as an artist earned him praise, while Taeyeon received praise for her vocal ability and clear tone. The single won first place the same month on Show Champion, giving Crush his first music show win.
Tickets for Crush’s first exclusive concert in 2016 sold out as soon as sales began. Despite it being Crush’s first exclusive concert since his debut, tickets managed to sell out at lightning speed. The event was held at the Lotte Card Art Center and cemented Crush’s position as an established act. On August 28, 2019, Crush released his newest single NAPPA. He wrote the lyrics and co-composed the track. NAPPA reached No. 1 on five of Korea’s major real-time charts: Melon, Genie, Bugs, Mnet, and Naver. It also grabbed No. 2 on Soribada. It’s his first release with P-Nation and the song was well-received by fans and critics alike.
7 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Crush
1. He was a former member of the Masterpiece. Masterpiece was a short-lived hip-hop duo under CMG Chorokbyul. They debuted on May 17, 2012, with their only single Rhythm Genius. Cheetah, who was the other member, is a South Korean rapper who’s currently under C9 Entertainment. He was the winner of the first season of Mnet’s competition show Unpretty Rapstar.
2. He is good friends with Jay Park and Lydia Paek. Jay Park is a Korean-American singer, rapper, and actor under AOMG and Roc Nation. Before being part of AOMG, he was under JYP Entertainment. He left JYP in 2010. Lydia Paek is well-known in America as a YouTube star and member of QUEST Crew. Paek entered the K-pop radar when she co-produced and co-wrote Park Bom’s Don’t Cry with Teddy in 2011.
3. Crush is part of a crew called VV:D alongside Zion.T, Elo, Gray, and Loco. The crew name is pronounced ‘vivid.’ Meanwhile, Loco was the first-ever artist that Crush worked with and each member of the group produces their own music and also collaborates with each other. Zion.T formed the crew with the purpose of each establishing themselves as their own unique artists.
4. Crush gets a lot of inspiration from the American music industry. The American artist he would like to collaborate with is Norah Jones. Even the visuals for his latest single, NAPPA had a lot of Hollywood vibes.
5. When he was younger, Crush could do a good impersonation of Bobby Kim. He has a deep speaking voice, yet Crush has never thought of joining a boy-band.
6. The music star is also part of a hip-hop crew called Fanxy Child along with Block B‘s Zico, Dean, Millic, and Penomeco. He is equally a director of the vocal team in Under Nineteen.
7. According to a statement by Warner Music Korea and P-Nation on October 24, 2019, singer Crush will be working with Pink Sweat$ for a new collaboration single, I Wanna Be Yours. Pink Sweat$ is a hot, rising rookie R&B singer/song-writer in the U.S, well-known for his hit single, Honesty.