Ebola Outbreak: Another Occurrence Cannot Be Prevented But We Are Better Prepared– WHO


The World Health Organization made an announcement on Thursday that could cause many to panic in fear.

The organization announced that another Ebola outbreak cannot be prevented, however, it added that the world is better prepared for it this time around than it was 4 years ago.

See Also: Unknown Sickness In Liberia Caused By A Funeral

At the time the Ebola virus broke out in 2013, the World Health Organization was gravely criticised for responding too slow to the outbreak.

The epidemic killed more than 11,000 people in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. The aftermath of the disease has also left more people with mental health problems as they battle stigmas, discrimination and a dwindling health care system.

WHO chief, Margaret Chan who was in Conakry, Guinea’s capital speaking at an event in honour of the officials who fought against the disease. She said:

“Scientists do not yet know exactly where in nature the Ebola virus hides between outbreaks, but nearly all experts agree that another outbreak is inevitable,” she said, speaking to an audience of scientists, Ebola response coordinators and dignitaries.

“When this occurs, the world will be far better prepared,” Chan added.

The Ebola virus was first discovered in present-day Congo in 1976. There have been  a number of outbreaks in between in the west African region. Last year, some reports revealed that the Ebola virus can often be stored in sperm and in tears*

See Also: Although Ended, Survivors Still Suffer In Guinea

At the event, Margaret Chan focused on the good, stating that the Ebola outbreak led to increased funding and *on other viral diseases like the Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) as well as the Lassa and Nipah viruses.

“These significant spillover effects strengthen the world’s collective defences against the never-ending threat from emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases,” she said.