The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a youth-centered program intended to give Ghanaian graduates the opportunity to join the labor market by placing them to work in various sectors in the country. The program provides qualified graduates with the chance to gain practical exposure to their dream careers while they perform their civic responsibility to the state. For registration to be part of this program, two things are very important for the process: the NSS portal and the NSS pin code.
The NSS portal is the gateway for candidates to sign in and get access to significant information regarding the National Service Scheme. The NSS pin code on the other hand is the password that gives you access to begin your registration process on the portal. The management of the NSS is responsible for generating and releasing the Personal Identification Number (PIN) Codes for the enrollment of prospective National Service Personnel. This article provides you with hints on how to access and use your NSS PIN Code.
Why You Need The NSS Pin Code and How to Get One
The NSS pin code is a must-have for every candidate enrolling in the mandatory program. Getting your pin code begins your entire registration process. Without it, registration cannot be done. The following procedures will help you get your NSS pin:
1. Write An Application Letter
Graduates who intend to be part of the National Service Scheme will first need to apply for the NSS PIN by writing a letter addressed to the Executive Director of the NSS using the following address:
Ghana National Service Scheme, 46 Patrice Lumumba Road, Airport Residential Area, Box 46, State House, Accra, Ghana.
Note: While writing your letter, there are certain important things to include:
- Your full name as written on your certificates
- The institution you graduated from
- What you studied and the year you graduated
- Your school’s index number
2. Attach Your Certificates
Your application letter also needs to be accompanied by some important documents attached. You will need to attach a copy of your certificates or transcripts. This will prove that you did attend and completed higher education.
A letter of introduction from your institution should also be attached to your letter. After providing all these necessary documents, you can then submit the letter to the address mentioned above.
How to Check and Activate Your NSS Pin Code Before Enlistment
Activating your pin code before going to the NSS portal to register for your national service commitment has been made easy. Getting your pin code takes about five minutes to finish. Simply adhere to the procedures beneath:
- Click on the portal link portal.nss.gov.gh/check-pin
- On the portal, provide your index number/student ID number and date of birth in the directed spaces, then click “SEARCH”.
- You will then be provided with your pin code, name, institution, discipline, and the year you enrolled.
- Next is the use of your pin code to make payment for its activation.
Activating Your PIN Using MTN Mobile Money
MTN Mobile Money is known to be one of the preferred means of activating your NSS pin code. To activate your pin with MTN Mobile Money, follow these steps:
- On your mobile phone, dial *170#
- Select the second option for “PAY BILL”
- Select option 6, General Payments
- Input your payment code (type “NSS”, space, type “your pin code”). You will be required to confirm your name
- Enter the amount to be paid (GH¢41.00)
- As the reference, enter NSS
- Input pin for payment confirmation
- Notification of confirmation of the transaction will be sent to you, you can then proceed to register on the NSS portal
How Much is the NSS PIN Code?
It costs almost nothing to get your NSS pin code. You either visit the NSS portal or use the MTN mobile money (Momo) as already shown above. However, it will cost you GH₵ 40.00, plus GH₵1.00 commission to activate your already obtained pin code. To make payment, prospective candidates are required to visit any branch of Agricultural Development Bank Ltd. (ADB) throughout the country to make the payment.
Best Way to Recover Your Pin Code Through NSS Dashboard
Before proceeding to the NSS dashboard to recover your pin code, you must make a payment. After payment must have been made, you can then proceed with the following steps:
- Visit the NSS portal here
- Click on the dashboard menu and select “Check & Pay for Pin Code”
- Type in either your school ID number or index number
- You can also enter your date of birth in the column provided
- Click on the search button
- Your pin code and personal data will be displayed on the screen. Kindly duplicate or write down the code for future use.
How To Re-activate An Old NSS PIN Code
Sometimes, people request an NSS pin when they are not ready to use it for reasons beyond their control. This pin can still be reactivated when you want to use it again. In case you have an old PIN code you wish to re-activate, you can do so without stress. You have to:
Write A Letter
To get an old PIN code working again, you have to write a letter. The letter should be about requesting the re-activation of your old PIN code and it must be addressed to the Executive Director of NSS.
What To Include
When writing your letter, you must include or attach the following details:
- Your old PIN code which you are trying to reactivate
- Your full name as it appears on your certificates
- The name of the institution of higher learning that you attended
- The course you studied
- Your school’s index number
- The year of graduation
- A copy of your certificates
NSS Portal Login Procedure
- Visit portal.nss.gov.gh
- Click on “Sign In”
- Then select “Sign In As Personal”
- Input your email as a username on the login page
- Input your pin code as your password
- Click on the “Log In” to get access to your dashboard
Highlights of the NSS Dashboard
The NSS dashboard has numerous options that can be utilized to get things done.
- Regional registration verification appointment
- Request changes in name and other details
- View online registration form
- Update registration form
- Check NSS posting
- Replace lost ID
- Print NSS posting letter
- Request for NSS certificate
- Print NSS monthly evaluation form
- Place order for items (NSS life starter deals)