GNPC Scholarships are among the most prestigious student scholarships in Ghana and it is craved for every year by thousands of Ghanaian students seeking some help with fees. For the record, GNPC is an acronym for Ghana National Petroleum Corporation, the government agency that is responsible for the exploration, distribution, and licensing of petroleum-related activities in Ghana. Every year, GNPC offers scholarships to undergraduate and postgraduate Ghanaian students through the GNPC Foundation to help the beneficiaries have a seamless time during their years of study.
The GNPC scholarships are available only for Ghanaian students who are in pursuit of their undergraduate and graduate program across Ghanaian universities. Understanding how to apply for these GNPC scholarships is very crucial for every Ghanaian student as the perks are very impressive.
Procedure To Apply For GNPC Scholarships
It is important to note that all applications for the GNPC scholarships must be done strictly online at the official GNPC website. Therefore, any hard copy submissions will not be accepted.
Below is the process to apply for the scholarship;
- Pay a visit to the portal for the GNPC scholarship application by clicking here.
- After the page opens up, click the ‘Create Account’ option and proceed to fill in all your required details which include an active email address and your correct phone number.
- When you finish creating your account, a PIN or a form ID will be delivered to your email address. You must take careful note of that PIN. Check your email often, including the SPAM section because sometimes it enters there.
- After getting your form ID or PIN, return to the portal for the GNPC scholarship application and log in by inserting the form ID and your phone number where necessary.
- After logging in, you will be given access to the GNPC scholarships application form to fill.
- Proceed to fill the application form by providing the correct information about yourself where needed. Any form of lies or misinformation will lead to your disqualification. Also, upload all the documents required.
- If you are an applicant with a disability, you have to upload your medical reports or certificates to prove that you are actually disabled.
- If you are a continuing student, you must provide and upload your statement of result.
- Submit your application and you’re good to go. Wait to see if you will be selected as one of those to enjoy the GNPC scholarships.
What Makes A Student Eligible For GNPC Scholarships?
Like all other scholarships, the GNPC scholarships also have some eligibility criteria people must meet to be able to enjoy the sponsorships. The scholarships are open to both undergraduate students, as well as postgraduate students pursuing studies in institutions of higher learning.
The criteria for undergraduates and postgraduate students are quite different. We will discuss them below.
Eligibility Criteria For Undergraduates
For undergraduate students seeking to enjoy the benefits of the GNPC scholarships, below are the criteria that must be met;
- Must Be A Ghanaian
Only Ghanaians can enjoy GNPC scholarships. Even if you’re studying in a Ghanaian university but you’re not a Ghanaian national, you cannot enjoy the scholarships.
- Must Be An Active Student
You must be currently in school, studying a course to be able to enjoy GNPC scholarships.
- Must Be Studying In Ghana
To enjoy this scholarship, you must be studying in Ghana. Even if you’re a Ghanaian national but are studying in another country, you will be disqualified.
- Must Not Be Enjoying Any Other Educational Scholarship
If you are currently enjoying any other form of educational scholarship, you will not be eligible for GNPC scholarships.
Undergraduates will be made to upload the following documents when applying for the scholarships.
- Admission letter
- WASSCE results
- Birth certificate
- A passport photograph
Eligibility Criteria For Postgraduates
Postgraduate students also have their own criteria which they must meet to be able to enjoy GNPC scholarships. Let’s take a look at them below;
- Must Complete National Service
Postgraduate students who want to enjoy GNPC scholarships must have completed their national service with the NSS.
- Secure Admission For Masters Or PhD
As expected, you must have gained admission to study for a Master’s or Ph.D. program to qualify for a postgraduate GNPC scholarship. You must also be studying in a Ghanaian university, otherwise, it won’t count.
- Must Be A Ghanaian
All applicants must be Ghanaians to qualify for the sponsorships.
Postgraduate students will be required to provide the following documents when applying;
- You must provide your admission letter
- You must supply your research publication
- You have to provide your academic and occupational recommendation letters
- Your passport photograph
- Other relevant certificates
Criteria For People With Disability
The GNPC scholarships are also available for people living with disabilities. As a matter of fact, the scholarships give some preference to disabled people who need all the help that they can get while in school.
However, the affected person must upload a medical report or certificate which states the exact state or the seriousness of their disability. Failure to do this may result in being disqualified.
GNPC Scholarships Preferences
There are different sets of people who are given preference or are more likely to get the GNPC scholarships upon application. Below are those in that category;
- Brilliant students and tutors of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
- Students who are physically challenged.
- First-year students.
- Special Needs Education and Basic Education (B.Ed) programs.
The Scope Of The GNPC Scholarships
Students who manage to get the GNPC scholarships will need not worry about sorting out money to pay for their tuition, living expenses, accommodation, and learning materials. This is because the scholarships cover all of those areas.
The sponsorship also takes care of the learner throughout the duration of their studies. Once the period stipulated in the scholarship elapses, all funding will cease and the student will have to apply again if they want to further their education.
Issues That Can Disqualify a GNPC Scholarship Applicant
There are certain things a person gets rejected for during the GNPC scholarship application. Some of these factors are listed below.
- If you are a sandwich or part-time student, you will not be eligible even if you’re a student in a Ghanaian school.
- If you are already enjoying an educational scholarship with any other body, you will not be eligible.
- If you provide fake or inaccurate information about yourself, you will be disqualified.
- If you have been given the scholarship already and it is found that the details you gave are incorrect, the scholarship will be withdrawn from you and you will be asked to make a refund of the money received.