The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, commonly known as just Standard Bank, was founded in Port Elizabeth on 15th October 1862. It is a major South African financial group and Africa’s biggest lender by assets. The bank with its headquarter at Simmonds Street, Johannesburg, South Africa operates in over 17 African countries and 16 countries across South East Asia, North and South America, and Eastern Europe. Meanwhile, the bank has gone ahead to make provisions in order to ensure self-satisfactory services to its customers using the cellphone banking option. Instead of going to the bank to stand in a long queue just to complete a transaction, the bank has made it easier for people to use their cellphones.
What is Standard Banking Cellphone Banking?
Standard Bank cellphone banking is simply a banking service made available by the bank with the aim of helping its customers perform a diverse range of banking services with the use of USSD codes. This banking service is of advantage to both people with a smartphone and those without smartphones. Even though the mobile app or online banking is so easy to use and requires almost no technicality, some customers still do not find it easy to carry out certain activities through internet banking. Hence, to breach this gap, cellphone banking with USSD codes was introduced.
The most significant feature of cellphone banking that made it a preferable option by most customers is that it does not require you to download any app on your mobile phone, nor does it require data to work. Even customers who have a mobile app and access to internet banking find it more convenient to use cellphone banking.
Standard Bank Cellphone Banking Code and How to Register and Activate it
Before you could be able to register for Standard Bank cellphone banking, you are required to have your South African ID number, card number, and pin. With these requirements in your possession, you can go ahead to register for cellphone banking by following the steps below.
- Simply dial *120*2345# and select register for cellphone banking
- Carefully follow the instructions displayed on your screen
- Then follow correctly by selecting the options that direct you to the registration process
Note: There are no application fees, sign-up fees, monthly subscription fees, nor standard network rates during registration.
Different Things One Can Do With Cellphone Banking
Here are some of the things you can do with Standard Bank cellphone banking that relieves you of the stress of going to the bank. To access your standard bank account through cellphone banking for any of the services below, simply dial *120*2345# and select the service you want to perform, then follow the instructions that would show on your screen.
- Account balance inquiry.
- Transfer of money locally, regardless of the bank the recipient is using.
- Transfer money to anyone who has a South African cellphone number.
- Purchase airtime or data bundles from any South African network provider.
- Play PowerBall and Lotto
- Change or reset your customer-selected PIN.
- Payment of electricity bills and municipal accounts
- Payment of beneficiary and once-off payments.
Benefits of Using Cellphone Banking
Standard bank customers can now carry out their banking with ease from their comfort zone without visiting any branch to print mini account statements, confirm account balances, buy airtime on their phone or for friends and family, and other things.
Most significantly, your phone does not need an internet connection before you can carry out your banking transaction. Also, you can perform your transaction on any kind of phone as long as it can dial numbers. Cellphone banking among many other benefits sends you alerts and lets you speak to a customer service representative. Here are the most outstanding benefits of using cellphone banking
- Ability to Access the Bank 24/7: Unlike visiting the bank, cellphone banking allows you to determine the time you want to access your account and most importantly saves you time.
- Safety and Security: With the username and password you created while registering for cellphone banking, you are the only one that has access to your account else you reveal your password to a second party.
- Easy Top-Up: Cellphone banking lets you recharge your phone and buy data bundles directly from your account without any stress
- UCount Rewards: This is a loyalty program provided by Standard Bank which rewards its customers for performing certain transactions from their bank account via cellphone banking.
- No monthly subscription fee.
How To Activate The Standard Bank App?
Standard Bank’s mobile app offers a wide range of services that you can perform yourself, wherever you are. To get started, you have to first download a standard bank mobile app from the google play store or app store.
- Find the app on the App Store or Google Play by searching for Standard Bank. Once you’ve found the app, click “Install” and wait for the app to appear on your device.
- Before you can use the app, you will need to register your details. Open the app, and click “Register”.
- The app will ask where you are registering from. Click on “Home or Work”.
- You will be required to create your profile. Click the “Email address” field and enter your email address.
- Enter a password that is strong as well as memorable. It is recommended that you not use a password that you are already using on another account and that you use both letters and numbers. Enter it into the password and “Confirm Password” fields. Click “Next”.
- The Banking App will try to verify your account by sending a One-Time Password (OTP) to the email address you specified and showing you the “Profile Verification” screen. When the OTP arrives, enter it.
- After successfully confirming your account, you will choose how to sign in. Start this process by clicking “Setup Sign-In”.
- You will be asked to create an App Code which has to be at least five digits long. This is the code you will need to enter whenever you start the app, to confirm your identity and protect you from unauthorized use of your phone. Here, it is recommended that you do not use easily guessed numbers like your date of birth or numbers that you use elsewhere like your ATM PIN.
- Once you’ve entered the code, you will be asked to confirm it. Enter it a second time.
- The App will now show you the “Setup Complete” screen. You have successfully set up your Banking App and can now use your sign-in details on the app and the online banking site. Tap OK to exit
How to Transfer Money Using Standard Bank Mobile Banking
- Click on the Mobile Banking App on your phone and log in
- At the bottom of the screen, tap on ‘Transfer’
- Then select the account you want to send money from (that is your own account)
- Select the ‘To’ account you will be crediting
- Choose the currency for your transfer
- Enter the amount you want to transfer
- At the top right side of the screen, click on the Review
- Check all the details you have entered to ensure they are accurate
- Tap on ‘Confirm’ at the top right of your screen to submit.
- You will promptly receive a confirmation message on your phone to confirm a successful transaction
- Select Done at the top right of the screen to finish.