Hyolyn is the stage name of Kim Hyo-Jung, a South Korean singer-songwriter. She debuted as the leader of the K-pop girl group SISTAR in 2010 and the sub-unit SISTAR19 in 2011. After SISTAR disbanded in 2017, Hyolyn founded her own music label, Bridʒ (pronounced “bridge”) and has since begun her solo music career. Born on December 11th, 1990, Kim Hyo-Jung hails from Incheon, South Korea. A graduate of Sungshin University, she also has a younger sister. The music star stands at a height of 165 cm with a bodyweight of 45 kg. More so, her zodiac sign is Sagittarius and she favors Adidas, Calvin Klein, and Balenciaga.
Details on Her Music Career
Hyolyn’s girl group SISTAR was formed by Starship Entertainment. The group made its official debut in 2010 with the single Push Push. Throughout SISTAR’s seven-year career, the group became known for their summer-time comebacks, with many fans saying summer was incomplete without a SISTAR comeback. Leading up to her solo comeback for her new label, Hyolyn lent her voice to drama OSTs for Black Knight: The Man Who Guards Me and Money Flower, while also working with GOT7 for their pre-album single One and Only You.
The singer officially debuted as a soloist on November 26, 2013, with her album Love & Hate. Hyolyn was part of the second season of South Korean rap competition Unpretty Rapstar in 2015. She finished the show in third place. She also appeared in the singing competition King of Mask Singer in 2016, placing 2nd at the end of the show.
After kicking things off with her first solo concert TRUE in Seoul in 2018, Hyolyn took her concert overseas to London in February 2019. She announced the first set of dates and locations for her first world tour in March of the same year. Some of her popular performances include Berlin on May 29, Amsterdam on May 31, and Paris on June 2. Others are Madrid on June 5, Taipei on June 22, Tokyo on June 30, and Kuala Lumpur on July 6. Her international tour was a huge success. Considering Hyolyn has an estimated net worth of $8 million due to her singing works, you can be sure she is determined to have a successful act.
7 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Hyolyn
1. Since their disbandment in 2017, the members of SISTAR are now in different agencies, but their friendship remains strong. Bora and Soyou, the former members, showed their love for Hyolyn at her first solo concert. On November 11, 2018, Bora posted a photo of her and Soyou with Hyolyn backstage at her first solo concert TRUE at Yes24 Live Hall in Seoul. On her Instagram Stories, Bora attached a video of her and Soyou singing along to Hyolyn.
2. Hyolyn performed the Black Knight drama soundtrack Wind-Up Clock, See Sea, and Dally at the 2018 KBS Drama Awards. She can also dance, act, and has an amazing body to boot. So much so that she has been dubbed Korea’s Beyoncé on more than one occasion.
3. She caused a controversy at the 2018 KBS Drama Awards in Seoul by wearing a tight silver one-piece outfit that critics said left her “butt-naked”. Audience members were seen biting their lips or smiling awkwardly as they waited for the singer to end her sexually charged performance.
4. Hyolyn has reached an agreement with the person who claimed to be the victim of school violence perpetrated by the singer. The settlement came three days after an anonymous netizen posted on an online community accusing Hyolyn of being a bully during their middle school days. The anonymous netizen made the accusation in May 2019. Details of the settlement were not disclosed to the public.
5. Shortly after the post went public, Hyolyn’s agency released an initial statement to say they were confirming the facts and were planning to meet with the alleged victim. They later released a second statement asserting that they would be taking legal action in response to the one-sided allegations that damaged the artist’s reputation.
6. The reason behind Hyolyn founding her music label, Bridʒ is so that she can create different types of music without any restrictions or rules. She is currently the CEO and the only artist under the entertainment agency. However, she is working with videographers, choreographers, and producers as well as collaborating with brands and artists.
7. Hyolyn is one of few K-pop artistes who have large, prominent tattoos on their bodies due to the conservative nature of Korean pop culture. Her tattoo is a Celtic-looking cross with some script underneath it. The tattoo was done to cover up a large scar from when she had surgery as a child.