Idris Sultan is the winner of the ninth season of Big Brother Africa, themed Big Brother Hotshots making him the second Tanzanian to claim the BBA $300,000 cash prize after Richard Bezuidenhout who won it in 2007. Sultan walks away with the $300,000 (30,377,400 KES) grand prize after spending a total of 63 days in the Big Brother house.
The young lad became well-known on the reality show after having intimate relations with a number of women in the house. Some of his fans even dubbed him “the house’s bad boy” or “Mr Lover Man”. Tayo, the Nigerian contestant had turned out to be the favourite to the jackpot but Idris’ advantage came because most countries that have allies to Tanzania which include countries like Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda and Zambia had bowed out of the house.
The photographer cum celebrity also hosts the biggest comedy news show called SIO HABARI and a radio show called MWB (Mji wa burudani) on ChoiceFm Tanzania.
Idris Sultan Biography
The actor was born January 28, 1993, and raised in Tanzania. His journey to stardom began when he represented his country in Big Brother Africa Hotshots and emerged the winner of the ninth edition of the reality TV show. With his grand prize, he bought a house in Dar es Salam, the Tanzanian capital and took to his official Instagram page to share the photo of himself in front of his new home.
Appearance on Big Brother Africa
Idris Sultan joined the Big Brother Africa reality show in 2014. Speaking of what propelled him to join the show, the reality star said he wanted to inspire people and make a name for himself in the process. He further added that he feels ‘thrilled, excited and accomplished, totally special’ that the continent will be watching him on the show.’
The Tanzanian housemate beat off strong competition to become the number one Hotshot and winner of Big Brother Africa 9. His charming role in the house portrayed him as the ladies man which gave him an edge. As the grand finale of the show approached, some of his housemates were evicted including M’am Bea and Butterphly, JJ and Sipe. Macky2 and Nhlanhla. Each evicted housemates were given medallions by Biggie for making it to the last 8. The final moment arrives and Tayo and Idris are brought into the building in a limousine and are on stage with IK, waiting to hear which one of them will be crowned the Hotshot. Finally, IK announced Tanzanian housemate, Idris as the winner.
Sultan was raised by his parents along with his elder sister Nashra who was present to support her younger brother at the Big Brother winner’s declaration ceremony. When Sultan was named the winner, she collapsed into tears and cried with joy. Later on in her interview, she said his brother’s victory was a big deal for their family.
As a millionaire celebrity in his country, Sultan is a subject of news, thus his love affairs are far from private. In 2016, he publicly declared his undying love for Miss Tanzania 2006, Wema Sepetu, via his Instagram. Their relationship seemed like a match made in heaven, but the duo later broke up late 2017, citing irreconcilable differences. Sultan said it wasn’t an easy decision for him to end the relationship. He told a Tanzania based site that his ex-girlfriend broke his heart several times and that he got involved with more than 30 women to get Sepetu out of his heart.
More About Idris Sultan
1. At age 21, Idris describes himself as ‘smart, charming, funny, flirty and creative, he is a photographer from Arusha in Tanzania.
2. We found out that his favourite book(s) include “anything written” by Dan Brown
3. Idris enjoys watching The Colbert Report, Drunk History, The Daily Show and The Ellen Degeneres Show on TV.
4. He was the young handsome boy who had a romantic fling with Uganda’s Ellah and Botswana’s Goitse during the show, Tayo, on the other hand, was the emotional boy who at some point fell out with almost every male housemate in the house.
5. His favourite musical tastes are quite varied and include music artists such as Chris Brown, Sam Smith, Lana Del Ray, Michael Jackson, Usher, Ed Sheeran, and Nina Simone.
6. Idris confirmed that he doesn’t have one specific role model, however, he has chosen to take the best from every successful person he meets. He also revealed that his Mom has the most influence in his life.
7. From what we could gather from his Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, Idris loves photography and he is most proud of the respect he’s earned by showcasing his skill and creativity in photography.
8. According to Idris, since Africa gave him the money he won, he would return the money back to Africa, but ‘not in cash’, as he was quick to add, noting that he would use it for developmental projects.