Seriousness Quotes- You must have heard that only the serious minded make it to the finish. Yet you may have also heard that all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Now I’m guessing that “dull” and “success” may not be compatible in one sentence. So what is then the recipe for success?
Let’s just say different times, calls for different measures. Even the Holy Book makes it clear that there is a time for everything under the heavens.
So as we kick off this brand new year, it is good you condition your mind to bravely take each moment as they come. However, it will be worth it to make serious and conscious efforts to keep pushing till something happens. While at it keep up with a cheerful spirit. A little humor and laughter never killed anyone.
Below are seriousness quotes that can help you work your way around success this new year.
1. When a person can no longer laugh at himself, it is time for others to laugh at him” -Thomas Szasz.
2. First, Resolve upon, and daily endeavour to practise, a life of seriousness and strict sobriety – David Brainerd.
3. ‘Can’t you ever be serious?’ I said, mortified.
‘It’s difficult,’ he said. ‘There’s so little in life that’s worth it.” – Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (
4. I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously – Ray Bradbury.
5. Go on, then, and let your intent be seriousness- Donald Cargill.
6. If you can get humor and seriousness at the same time, you’ve created a special little thing, and that’s what I’m looking for, because if you get pompous, you lose everything – Paul Simon.
7. Seriousness is stupidity sent to college – P. J. O’Rourke.
8. You can’t expect to hit the jackpot if you don’t put a few nickels in the machine – Flip Wilson.
9. If the facts don’t fit the theory, change the facts – Albert Einstein
10. So we won’t take ourselves too seriously. Because taking something serious doesn’t make it go away any faster. In fact, it keeps making it a little bit worse – Ram Dass (
11. Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavour – Truman Capote.
12. Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest – Piet Pieterszoon Hein.
13. Ultimate seriousness in not without a dose of humor – Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
14. Seriousness is not Calvinistic, it’s not a renunciation, it’s the very opposite of that – Leonard Cohen.
15. Whatever work you undertake, do it seriously, thoroughly and well; never leave it half-done or undone, never feel yourself satisfied unless and until you have given it your very best. Cultivate the habits of discipline and toleration. Surrender not the convictions you hold dear but learn to appreciate the points of view of your opponents – Syama Prasad Mukherjee.
16. Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive – Elbert Hubbard.
17. We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don’t know – W. H. Auden.
18. One of the ridiculous aspects of being a poet is the huge gulf between how seriously we take ourselves and how generally we are ignored by everybody else – Billy Collins.
19. The elevator to success is out of order. You’ll have to use the stairs… one step at a time – Joe Girard.
20. Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow – Oscar Wilde.
21. Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious – Peter Ustinov.
22. Even if you fall flat on your face, you’re still moving forward – Victor Kiam
23. Sheer Playfulness and Deadly Seriousness are my closest friends – Philip Roth.
24. Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play – Heraclitus.
25. Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce – Unknown.
26. Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first – Mark Twain.
27. I like to think serious thoughts but I don’t like to take them seriously – Marty Rubin.
28. Expect problems and eat them for breakfast – Alfred A. Montapert.
29. People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing; that’s why we recommend it daily – Zig Ziglar.