Jennifer Connelly is a multiple award-winning American actress. She has been on the entertainment scene since the early 1980s, having initially begun her showbiz career as a child model. As an actress, Jennifer first attracted public attention through her lead appearance on Phenomena (1985). She subsequently garnered massive popularity for portraying Sarah Williams in Labyrinth (1986).
Aside her career, Connelly’s physical looks have also earned her a lot of popularity, having been ranked among the world’s most beautiful women by several recognized publications including Esquire, Vanity Fair, and The Los Angeles Times. Jennifer further heightened her fame after getting involved with, and marrying, popular British actor, Paul Bettany. The success of Jennifer’s marriage with Paul has also increased the curiosity of fans to know more about her, and here you’ve got everything you’d love to know about the beautiful actress.
Jennifer Connelly’s Bio (Age)
Jennifer Lynn Connelly was born on the 12th of December, 1970. She was born in Cairo, New York, in the United States of America. She is of mixed ancestry comprising Irish-Norwegian heritage on her father’s side and Polish-Russian origins from her maternal lineage.
Jennifer grew up in Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn, NYC, in a family of mixed religion. Her father, Gerard Karl Connelly, a cloth maker, was Catholic while her mother, Ilene Schuman, an antique collector, was Jewish. Growing up, she attended the prestigious St. Ann’s School in Brooklyn Heights.
When Jennifer was five, in 1976, her family left Brooklyn Heights for Woodstock (still in New York) when her father had asthma and was disturbed by smog which was prevalent in the city then. They, however, returned to Brooklyn Heights four years later and she went back to St. Ann’s.
Jennifer Connelly started modeling at ten, following the suggestion of a family friend, who was an advertising executive. She started by featuring in print adverts on magazines and newspapers, and later on in television commercials. By the time she turned twelve, Jennifer, with the encouragement of her mother, started giving acting a try. She soon won the role of the younger version of Deborah Gelly (played by Elizabeth McGovern) in the Italian-American film, Once Upon A Time in America later released in 1984. While filming Once Upon A Time in America, she made her television debut on a 1982 episode of the ITV series, Tales of the Unexpected (1979-1988).
Jennifer subsequently landed her first major role in Phenomena, a 1985 Italian horror movie where she portrayed lead character, Jennifer Corvino. The next year, 1986, saw her play her breakthrough role in the musical fantasy drama, Labyrinth. After starring in numerous movies and television series in the following years, Jennifer later landed her big break in the 2001 film, A Beautiful Mind. Her excellent performance of the supporting but complex role of Alicia Nash in the biographical movie earned her multiple award nominations out of which she won thirteen, including an Oscar.
Jennifer Connelly is a graduate of Classical Theatre and Improvisation from Stanford University. She, however, first studied at Yale University before transferring to Stanford. She has, so far, in her acting career, appeared in over fifty movies and TV series, with her latest being the action drama, Top Gun: Maverick.
Relationship With Paul Bettany
Jennifer Connelly met her future husband, Paul Bettany on the set of A Beautiful Mind. Jennifer had initially caught Paul’s attention back in 1986 when she portrayed 15-year-old Sarah Williams in Labyrinth. She, in fact, became his childhood crush. The two, however, did not start dating immediately they met as they where each involved in other relationships then. They only got together after meeting once again at an awards gala six months after filming A Beautiful Mind. By then, both of them were no longer romantically engaged with anyone. Paul did not waste time to pop the big question and they subsequently got married in Scotland on the 1st of January, 2003.
The couple has two children together – a son, Stellan Bettany (born on August 5, 2003), and a daughter, Agnes Lark Bettany (born on 31st May 2011).
Jennifer Connelly’s Net Worth
Jennifer Connelly has an estimated net worth of $20 million. She mainly amassed her wealth from her acting career. Some of Jennifer’s successful and high grossing films include The Rocketeer, Dark City, Requiem for a Dream, A Beautiful Mind, and Blood Diamond.
In addition to acting, Jennifer also makes decent sum from her advertising and endorsement deals, including her long-standing contracts with Revlon, Shiseido, and Balenciaga.
Facts About Paul Bettany’s Wife
1. Prior to Jennifer Connelly’s relationship with Paul Bettany, she dated The Rocketeer co-star, Billy Campbell (1991-1996) and actor Josh Charles (1999-2002).
2. Jennifer later dated American photographer David Dugan between 1996 and 1997. The duo had a son (Kai Dugan) after which their relationship ended.
3. One of the secrets to Jennifer’s marital bliss is her agreement with her husband not to work at the same time. One person takes up a role, while the other stays home with the kids.
4. Jennifer is a disciplined woman who takes her career seriously, always working with time. As a result, she scarcely shows up late for auditions. While a student, she also took her studies seriously and made good grades.
5. Jennifer Connelly is 5 feet 6 inches tall. Some of her prominent facial features include thick eyebrows, freckled lips, pale green/grey eyes, and long dark brown hair.
6. In addition to her native language (English), Connelly fluently speaks Italian and French.
7. Her hobbies include camping, hiking, walking, biking, swimming, and gymnastics. She also enjoys drawing and her favorite colors are sea green, cobalt blue, and forest green.
8. Connelly has won a total of fifteen awards in her acting career including an Academy Award, British Academy Film Award, Golden Globe Award, Critic Choice Awards, and Satellite Award, among others.
9. For her active involvement in charity, Amnesty International in 2005, named her its Ambassador for Human Rights Education. She also became the ambassador for Save the Children Fund in 2012.
10. Jennifer Connelly starred as the wife of her real husband, Paul Bettany in the 2009 biopic drama, Creation. Jennifer and Paul respectively portrayed Emma Darwin and Charles Darwin.