Kellita Smith is one of Hollywood’s unforgettable stars. In a career spanning nearly three decades, she has endeared herself to fans with various roles. One of her most popular roles is as Wanda on the Bernie Mac Show. The show ran from 2001 to 2006 and focused on the attempts of comedian, Bernie Mac, to raise his sister’s rambunctious kids. Smith ably played the role of Mac’s loving but no-nonsense wife. Her portrayal of the character did not only win her many awards but lifelong fans as well. Find out more about Smith here, including her bio, children, net worth and other interesting facts.
Kellita Smith – Biography
Kellita A. Smith was born on the 15th of January 1969 in the city of Chicago. She hails from a family of four. Her mother’s name is Honey Smith and she has a brother named Eric. Her father’s name is not known but we do know that he is a veteran of the Vietnam War. Smith’s parents divorced in 1972 after her dad returned from Vietnam. Kellita Smith grew up in the city of Oakland California which is where she completed her high school and college education. Upon graduation, she worked various jobs including as a salesperson at a departmental store and an assistant at an insurance company.
Smith commenced her journey to Hollywood stardom via the theatre. In the mid-90s, she appeared in several stage productions including Tell It Like It Tiz, No Place to be Somebody and The Thirteenth Thorn. These theatrical productions brought Smith the much-needed exposure in Hollywood and she soon started landing roles on a regular basis. Kellita Smith got her very first movie role in the 1994 film, House Party 3. Since then, she has gone on to appear in over 20 movies, including The Crossing Guard, Kingdom Come, Hair Show, Fair Game, King’s Ransom, Feel The Noise, A Deadly Adoption, Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!, The Man in 3B and Three Can Play That Game. The latter is a rom-com which focuses on men and women as they try to outwit themselves in the dating game.
Nowadays, many celebrities often splash their personal lives on social media, all in a bid to generate publicity. Kellita Smith does not belong to this category. She is a notoriously-private person. As a result, there have not been rumours romantically linking her to any of her co-stars or any other guy for that matter. In 2013, she was spotted with a guy at a Mr Chow Outlet in Beverly Hills but nothing more was heard of that. With regard to children, Smith does not have any kids yet. However there is no doubt that she would make a wonderful mom if she decides to go that route someday.
Kellita Smiths has a net worth of $500,000. Her source of income majorly comes from her illustrious career as an actress; the Illinois native has featured on over 45 movies and TV shows. Some of the TV series she has featured in are Sister, Sister, The Wayans Bros, Dangerous Minds, The Jamie Foxx Show, and The First Family. In The First Family, Smith plays the role of the First Lady of the United States. The series follows her attempts and that of her family to adjust to life in the White House.
Other Interesting Facts About Kellita Smith
1. Smith had her schooling at the Oakland Community Learning Centre. The school was established by renowned civil rights group – The Black Panther. She then had her college education at Santa Rosa Junior College California where she studied Political Science.
2. She received The NAACP Theatre Award for Best-supporting Actress in 1996. This was for her performance in the theatrical production, Feelings.
3. Smith has been nominated four times for outstanding actress in a comedy series at NAACP Image Awards. This was for her unforgettable role as Wanda in the sitcom – The Bernie Mac Show
4. Before her rise to fame, she worked as a salesperson at Macy’s departmental store.
5. Kellita Smith has appeared on some reality TV series. For instance, she featured in an episode of Hell’s Kitchen in 2017. Hell’s Kitchen is a cooking competition/reality TV series hosted by British celebrity chef, Gordon Ramsay.
6. Smith initially aspired to be a lawyer before making a career in Hollywood.