Mirtha Jung is the ex-wife of George Jung, the American drug trafficker and smuggler. She is a 71-year-old Cuban-American writer and businesswoman born on 3rd December, 1952.
It is commonplace to see couples collaborating to build successful businesses in different fields of life. However, the case of Mirtha Jung and her husband, George Jung is quite different as they were partners in crime. Mirtha Jung became popular for being the ex-wife and former colleague of infamous American drug Lord, George Jung. However, Mirtha and George’s marital life later found its pitfall in the same thing that brought them together – their drug-fraught lifestyle.
Despite having separated for many years, Mirtha Jung made it to the limelight following the release of Blow, a 2001 award-winning American biographical film which portrayed the life and drug business of her ex-husband, with Penélope Cruz and Johnny Depp respectively portraying her character and that of George. Read on to get all the details about Mirtha Jung, George Jung’s ex-wife.
Summary of Mirtha Jung’s Biography
- Full name: Mirtha Jung
- Gender: Female
- Date of birth: 3rd December, 1952
- Mirtha Jung’s Age: 71 Years Old
- Ethnicity: Cuba
- Nationality: Cuban-American
- Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
- Marital Status: Divorced
- Mirtha Jung’s Husband: George Jung
- Mirtha Jung’s Children: Kristina Sunshine
- Mirtha Jung’s Height in Inches: 5 feet 6 inches
- Mirtha Jung’s Weight: 67 kg
- Hair Color: Blonde
- Occupation: Businesswoman
- Famous for: Being the ex-wife of George Jung
Who Is Mirtha Jung?
She was born as Mirtha Calderon in the United States. While she is American by nationality, Mirtha has Cuban origins.
Mirtha started consuming hard drugs at a young age. She met George Jung, a drug smuggler towards the late 1970s. The duo reportedly met each other via Colombia drug contacts. After dating for some years, they married on March 22, 1977.
The first years of the couple’s marriage were blissful as they loved each other dearly. On 1st August 1978, they welcomed a baby girl named Kristina Sunshine. Howbeit, Mirtha and George’s lifestyle of drug dealing and addiction could not let the bliss last. Their union gradually went through numerous issues arising from substance abuse, eventually leading to their divorce in 1984.
Mirtha Jung’s Age Compared to George Jung
Mirtha is ten years younger than her former husband, George. Although her birth date is not available, she is supposed to have been born in the early fifties and George was born in 1942. At the time of their meeting, she was reportedly 24 while Jung was around 34.
Timeline of Mirtha Jung and George Jung’s Relationship
- Mid-1970s: Mirtha meets George Jung in Colombia through one of his Colombian drug contacts when she is around 24 years old, and George is ten years her senior. She is already involved in drug use at this time.
- 1977: After dating for a few years, Mirtha and George get married. Mirtha becomes an integral part of the Medellin Cartel that George works for, participating in the smuggling of cocaine from Colombia to the US.
- 1978: Mirtha and George welcome their daughter, Kristina Sunshine Jung, on August 1. Despite doctors’ advice, Mirtha continues using cocaine during her pregnancy.
- Late 1970s-Early 1980s: Mirtha’s involvement in the drug business results in a serious cocaine addiction. She is arrested and sentenced to three years in jail for possessing a dangerous amount of cocaine.
- 1981: While in jail, Mirtha decides to get clean and is released from prison.
- 1984: After a turbulent relationship largely impacted by their drug-related lifestyles, Mirtha and George decide to end their marriage. Mirtha focuses on staying clean and setting a better example for her daughter.
- 2001: The biographical movie “Blow” is released, telling the story of George Jung’s life and featuring Mirtha’s character played by Penelope Cruz. The film brings Mirtha into the spotlight, as it details her involvement in the drug cartel.
- 2021: George Jung passes away in May.
- Present Day: Mirtha remains alive, having successfully overcome her drug addiction and the challenges of the recovery process. She maintains a low profile and focuses on repairing her relationship with her daughter, Kristina Sunshine Jung.
What Is Mirtha Jung’s Net Worth?
The media is not yet settled on the exact figure of Mirtha Jung’s net worth. While some sources hold that she is worth up to a million dollars, others say that her net worth stands at some hundreds of thousands. However, during their drug smuggling days, Mirtha and her hubby reportedly earned up to $5 million daily and amassed over $100 million over the years from the business.
Drug Dealing and Addiction
Mirtha Jung dealt on drugs alongside her husband, George. They were both members of Medeline Cartel, a notorious group of drug smugglers operating between Colombia and the United States most actively in the 70s and 80s. George Jung came to know about Medeline through a fellow inmate while serving a term at FCI Danbury, US for marijuana possession between 1974 and 1975. On marrying Mirtha, he introduced her to the cartel.
Meanwhile, Mirtha Jung was not only a drug dealer, she also consumed the controlled substances to the point of addiction. Mirtha’s addiction was so overwhelming that she was doing drugs both during and after pregnancy despite grave warnings from doctors and serious attempts to give up on the substances.
Jail Term and Clean Up
Mirtha Jung’s drug life at some point earned her a three-year jail time. She was sentenced for drug possession. During her time in jail, she worked hard on herself and cleaned up, living free from substance abuse since after her release. Unlike Mirtha, George Jung continued with drug dealing, landing a 20-year jail term in 1994.
Mirtha Jung’s Life after Divorce
Following their separation, George Jung remarried while Mirtha stayed single. He married Ronda Clay Spinello who has a daughter, Clara Pearson from a previous relationship. Explaining why she has remained single in an interview, Mirtha revealed that her ex-husband is the only man she has ever loved.
The former Mrs. Jung presently maintains a low key life shielded from the media. She made her last public appearance after the release of Blow in 2001. The Texas newspaper had granted her an interview back then.
Meet Mirtha Jung’s Daughter, Kristina
George Jung left Mirtha all alone with their 6-year-old daughter, Kristina Sunshine Jung following their divorce. While she earlier served her prison term, the little girl stayed with her grandparents – Ermine and Fedrick Jung. They later took her to one of their daughters (Kristina’s aunt) Carrie who reportedly raised her till adulthood. Kristina has grown to become a poet and writer. She is also a businesswoman, managing her father’s clothing line, BG (Boston George) Apparel. She presently has two children with her husband, Romain Karan.
Mirtha practically cleaned up as well as stayed clean from drugs for the sake of her daughter, Kristina who is living a completely drug-free life. Emma Roberts portrayed Kristina’s character in Blow.
How old is Mirtha Jung now?
Mirtha Jung is 71 years old. She was born on 3rd December, 1952, in Cuba and her zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
What is Mirtha Jung’s ethnicity
Mirtha Jung is of Cuban ethnic root. She was born somewhere in Cuba even though she has made her home in America.
What is Mirtha Jung’s nationality?
Mirtha Jung is a citizen of the United States of America and also a Cuban national.
Is Mirtha Jung still alive?
The 71-year-old ex-wife of George Jung, Mirtha, is still alive. Through deliberate effort, she has gradually changed her lifestyle, putting drug addiction behind her, and overcoming all the issues with the process of recovery.
Where is Mirtha Jung now?
Information about Mirtha whereabouts is currently unavailable as she presently maintains a low key life shielded from the media. She made her last public appearance after the release of Blow in 2001. The Texas newspaper had granted her an interview back then.
Who are Mirtha Jung’s children?
Mirth’s marriage to George Jung produced one daughter named Kristina Sunshine Jung, who is her only child. Mirtha raised Kristina all by herself and she (Kristina) is now married to Romain Karan and is blessed with two children.
What is Mirtha Jung’s net worth?
The media is not yet settled on the exact figure of Mirtha Jung’s net worth. While some sources hold that she is worth up to a million dollars, others say that her net worth stands at some hundreds of thousands. However, during their drug smuggling days, Mirtha and her husband reportedly earned up to $5 million daily and amassed over $100 million over the years from the business.