Rob Delaney is an American comedian, actor, writer and TV producer. despite kicking off his career in the early 2000s, Rob only gained public notice several years later by posting jokes on Twitter. This move which was groundbreaking at the time, automatically earned him much popularity as well as opened several doors of opportunities to Delaney. The comic actor subsequently garnered massive popularity for his co-starring role with Sharon Horgan on the Channel 4 comedy series Catastrophe (2015-2019). Here, we bring you very intriguing facts about the talented comedian and actor.
Rob Delaney’s Bio
He was born as Robert Archer Delaney on the 19th of January, 1977 in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. He, however, grew up in the Marblehead town of Mass. Delaney is an American with Irish origin.
After completing his preparatory education, Rob proceeded to the New York University Tisch School of the Arts where he studied Musical Theater. He graduated with a B.A degree in the field in 1999. On completing his education, Rob Delaney subsequently began his entertainment career in 2003.
Rob, however, only came to public notice several years later after he started posting jokes on Twitter in 2009. He happened to be one of the pioneer comedians to freely publish or share their comic materials on social media. The Twitter exposure eventually started earning Rob numerous jobs from writing to acting.
In 2010, he participated in Comedy Central’s show, A Night of 140 Tweets. He also landed writing jobs publications such as The Guardian and Vice. Rob as well appeared on a number of films/TV series including Outer Space Astronauts (2009), Coma, Period. (2009), The Smoking Gun Presents (2011), and Key & Peele (2012), among others. In 2013, he published his first book, a memoir titled Rob Delaney: Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.
In 2014, Delaney moved to the United Kingdom. Prior to his move, he collaborated with award-winning Irish actress, comedian, writer and producer, Sharon Horgan to create, write, and produce (as executive producer) a TV show titled Catastrophe. Delaney and Horgan co-starred on the show as Sharon Morris and Rob Norris, with other established actors such as Carrie Fisher, Mark Bonnar, and Ashley Jensen featuring in supporting roles.
The series which started airing on Channel 4 in January 2015 had its last episode broadcast on February 12, 2019. The 4-season/24-episode show has earned Delaney several awards and nominations including a BAFTA TV Craft’s Best Comedy Writer award which he won in 2016 alongside Sharon Horgan. The series also earned him an Emmy nomination the same year.
In addition to Catastrophe, Rob has appeared in various UK game shows including The Big Fat Quiz of the Year, and Room 101, among others. Lately, Rob played minor roles in successful films like Deadpool 2 (2018), and Hobbs & Shaw (2019). He is also on the cast of the 2021 American action comedy film, Tom & Jerry.
10 Facts About the Comedian and Catastrophe Actor
1. Rob Delaney credits popular Irish comedian, Graham Linehan with his Twitter fame. Rob’s comic tweets largely started gaining prominence after Linehan began commenting on them.
2. Rob made it to Paste magazine’s “Ten Funniest People on Twitter” in 2010. He subsequently became Comedy Central’s maiden “Funniest Person on Twitter” awardee at the 2012 Comedy Awards gala.
3. Delaney’s most popular screen work, Catastrophe first aired on his 38th birthday – January 19, 2015.
4. Rob Delaney used to have issues with alcohol and depression. He, however, quit drinking following an almost fatal DUI accident in 2002 which caused him two broken arms and severely bruised knees, alongside a jail time which he served on a wheelchair. According to the comic, that was the closest he has ever come to death.
5. Contrary to the common mistake of Sharon Horgan for his wife, Rob Delaney has a real-life wife, Leah Delany who works as a teacher. Rob met Leah in Massachusetts while they were both volunteering with disabled people. Although their wedding date is not available, the comedian revealed in a 2015 interview with The Guardian that they’ve been together for 11 years. His wife he said in the interview, is the greatest love of his life.
6. Rob has three children with his wife – all boys. The comedian would have had four sons, had he not lost one named Henry (aged 2½) to a brain tumor in January 2018. He presently lives with his family in the United Kingdom, precisely in London, England.
7. Delaney lists his marriage and sobriety (freedom from substance abuse and depression) as his greatest lifetime achievements. According to him, it is the latter that makes the former possible.
8. Rob Delaney is a Democratic Party loyalist. He is as well a member of several U.S liberal organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and Democratic Socialists of America. Rob prioritizes good education and healthcare programs, and it actually saddens him when people do not appreciate the NHS.
9. Rob is proficient in Makaton, a form of language that is used to communicate with linguistically impaired individuals such as patients of stroke, Down’s Syndrome, autism, and other speech impairing ailments. He was the first presenter to use Makaton to tell a story on CBeebies’s Bed Time Stories show.
10. The comedian and Catastrophe actor is an atheist.