R&B singer Suran was taken to the spotlight after a 2018 dating fiasco with South Korean rapper Suga. Rumors that the two dated began to circulate after Suran put up a post on Instagram that listed the word “yoongi” in the caption. This word means “shine” in Korean but is also spelled the same way as Suga’s given name. In the wake of the foregoing, Suran uploaded a long explanation on her Instagram, stating the two are not dating and she apologized to her fans.
Although she has come to be known as Suran, her real name is Shin Su Ran. She studied computer science as a major in college. The star has a cheerful personality and likes listening to music, loves coffee, and indoor activities. The information regarding her family, parents, and siblings are not disclosed. Suran is also known as Elena (used as part of LODIA) and Baily Shoo, her other stage names. She has sung a number of OSTs including one for Incarnate Jealousy and Strong Women Do Bong Soon. She has cited artists Amy Winehouse and Kimbra as some of her biggest inspirations.
Suran does good music and her loving personality has endeared her to fans and critics alike. She tends to start K-pop trends and her fans are always following her up on her YouTube and social media pages.
Her Meteoric Rise to Stardom
Suran is a K-pop singer, songwriter, and record producer under Million Market. She debuted as part of the duo, Lodia alongside Effy on July 9, 2014, with their single I Got a Feeling. Since then, she has recorded multiple singles and has also appeared on two episodes of MBC’s King of Mask Singer as a contestant named ” Skip to the End, Hello”. Suran transitioned into a solo artist with I Feel in 2014 and Calling In Love featuring Beenzino in 2015. She has also been a featured artist on various songs like Voice, And, No Thx, and more. She has two EPs, Walkin’ which was released on June 2, 2017, and Jumpin’ which was released on March 22, 2019.
As far as nominations are concerned, she won the R&B/Soul and Hot Trend Awards (with BTS’s Suga) for the single Wine at the 9th Melon Music Awards in 2017. She also won Best R&B/Soul at the 32nd Golden Disc Awards in 2018. Suran organized a concert at the Spigen Hall in Seoul for her comeback album on March 22, 2019. She released her second mini-album Jumpin’ later that day. Suran expressed her reflections on her comeback album with Yoon Mi Rae and Heize. She recalled sending a handwritten letter to Yoon Mi Rae asking for a collaboration.
5 Interesting Things About Suran
1. Suran and Suga worked together on 2017’s Wine. Suga produced the track which won him the 2017 Composer of the Year Award from the Melon Music Award. Before that, rapper Suga decided to feature Suran in one of his songs called So Far Away. The reception was so positive that the duo decided to work together again. They did this on Suran’s single, Wine, which turned out to be a chart-topping hit with over 500,000 downloads. Following the success of the single, the singer released her debut extended play, Walkin’, on June 2, 2017, peaking at number 30 on the Gaon Album Chart.
2. Suran is a very popular K-Pop singer and has sold a lot of copies of her songs. She has been involved in over two dozen projects. As a result, she has earned a lot of money and her annual income is around $500,000, while her total net worth is about $3 million.
3. Suran has won a total of 11 nominations and 4 awards to date. In the 9th Melon Awards, she won R&B Soul and Hot Trend Awards. She also grabbed two awards in 2018, Best R&B Soul at the 32nd Golden Disc Awards and R&B Ballad Award at the 27th Seoul Music Awards.
4. Suran expressed her gratitude for the support shown by fans after sharing her story about her battle with breast cancer. Previously, on the April 16, 2019 episode of Video Star, Suran shared publicly for the first time that she had surgery due to breast cancer.
5. Suran held a showcase for her 2017 album, Walkin’, on May 31, 2017. The mini-album was her first since her debut single album that topped numerous charts a few months prior. Her debut single, If I Get Drunk Today was produced by BTS’s one and only singer-songwriter Suga. Suran showed gratitude for her producer DEAN, who is the star of massive hits like D, I’m Not Sorry, and more.