There are some President Buhari quotes that Nigerians would love the president to be reminded of. Well-intended statements that can yield fruitful results if they are genuinely backed by appropriate actions.
Words may be cheap but what makes a leader stand out is marching his words with his actions. Promises make no sense until they are fulfilled.
Leadership comes with its crosses and crowns; Nonetheless, leaders should prove to the people beyond reasonable doubts that there is a unity of purpose.
Buhari joins the league of other Nigeria’s ex-Ministers like President Shehu Shagari Shagari who was a three-time minister, Murtala Muhammed, Olusegun Obasanjo, Shehu Shagari and Sani Abacha to become president. In 2015, he campaigned as a born-again democrat to allay fears about his strict military regime.
He ran under the slogan of “new broom,” belonging to a political party called the All Progressive Congress (APC) and his supporters were often pictured holding brooms in the lead-up to the vote. His victory in the 2015 presidential election marked the first time in the history of the Federal Republic of Nigeria that an incumbent president lost to an opposition candidate in a general election. It was his fourth attempt at leadership since he was ousted from power in 1985. He took over from the then President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
Side by side to his commendable part, President Buhari‘s regime has been largely accused of tribal/religious sentiments, inefficiency in economic matters and political victimization.
Let’s take a look at some Buhari quotes that most Nigerians would love to materialize as it concerns the afore-mentioned.
1. I belong to everybody, and I belong to nobody.
2. The corporate existence of Nigeria as a single entity is not a subject of debate and will not be compromised.
3. I pledge myself and the government to the rule of law, in which none shall be so above the law that they are not subject to its dictates, and none shall be so below it that they are not availed of its protection.
4. You are all my people; I will treat you all as mine. I will work for those who voted for me, voted against me and those who didn’t vote at all.
5. We shall send corrupt politicians to Kirikiri.
6. I will stabilize global oil price.
7. We shall quickly examine the best way to revive major industries and accelerate the revival and development of our railways, roads and general infrastructure.
8. I assure you, if I become president, the world will not have to worry about Nigeria as it is now.
9. Change does not just happen. You and I and all of us must appreciate that we all have our part to play if we want to bring CHANGE about.
10. Every new government inherits problems. Ours was no different.
11. Our government [has] set out to do things methodically and properly.
12. I bear no ill will against anyone on past events. Nobody should fear anything from me. We are not after anyone. People should only fear the consequences of their actions.
13. Our long night is over and a new dawn has come… Democracy and rule of law will be put in place.
14. Money has been recovered, whatever has been recovered we have to end up in courts.
15. Religion must never be used as an excuse to divide us, oppress others or gain an unfair advantage.
16. We will stop corruption and make the ordinary people, the weak and the vulnerable our top priority.
17. Any war waged on corruption should not be misconstrued as settling old scores or a witch-hunt. I’m running for president to lead Nigeria to prosperity and not adversity.
18. We will be a compassionate government, for out of compassion arises the truest forms of wealth and progress a society can attain.
19. Constitutionally there are limits to powers of each of the three tiers of government but that should not mean the Federal Government should fold its arms and close its eyes to what is going on in the states and local governments. Not least the operations of the Local Government Joint Account.
20. This generation of Nigerians and indeed the future generation have no country other than Nigeria, we shall stay and salvage it together!