Tyrod Taylor is a professional football player who currently plies his trade with the Cleveland Browns. He is a quarterback and has played in the NFL for a couple of years and counting. Taylor is widely regarded as a dual-threat quarterback due to the fact that he is very good at passing and running. In spite of the fact that his career has been hampered by injuries, he has still gone on to give incredible performances and break several records both in the league and in his club. Find out more about him here.
Tyrod Taylor’s Early Life and Career Beginnings
Tyrod Taylor was born on the 3rd of August 1989 in Hampton Virginia. He had his high school education at Hampton High School and was a multi-sport athlete; he lettered in football, basketball, and Track. While in high school with his school’s football team, the lad recorded good stats both in passing and rushing, thus establishing himself as a dual-threat quarterback. He amassed a total of 7,690 offensive yards and 100 touchdowns (passing-5,144 yards/44 touchdowns, rushing-2,546 yards/56 touchdowns).
Taylor received offers of football scholarships from several institutions but selected Virginia Tech. In spite of the fact that he suffered a high ankle sprain in his first two seasons, he recorded some amazing performances on the way to helping his team win several trophies. He led his team to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship victory in 2008 and 2010 and on both Occasions was named the Most Valuable Player. He was also named the player of the year in the ACC in 2010. In his four year stint at Virginia Tech (2007-2010), he attempted a total of 865 passes, out of which 495 were completed for 7,017 yards and 44 touchdowns. He also rushed for 2,196 yards from which he had 23 touchdowns.
NFL Career Stats and Injuries
Tyrod Taylor was a 6th round pick (180th overall) for the Baltimore Ravens in 2011 NFL draft. He spent a total of four years with the Ravens where he was mostly used as a backup to Joe Flacco. He did not see much action and consequently recorded poor stats. After four years, Taylor joined the Buffalo Bills on a three-year contract worth $3,350,000. He started all 14 games for the Buffalo Bills in the 2015 season and utilized it to show what he was capable of. He attempted 380 passes (out of which 242 was completed) for 3,035 yards and 20 touchdowns. Additionally, he rushed for 568 yards and had 4 touchdowns.
Unsurprisingly, the Buffalo Bills rewarded him with an improved contract the next season, a six-year deal worth a whopping $92,000,000. He repaid them by equally giving a wonderful performance all throughout the 2016 season; Tyrod attempted 436 passes (out of which 269 were completed) for 3,023 yards and had 6 touchdowns. Additionally, he rushed for 580 yards and had 6 touchdowns.
Sadly, Tyrod Taylor suffered two injuries at the tail end of the season, a groin injury as well as a muscle issue. He underwent surgery to fix both injuries. Taylor’s last season with the Bills was the 2017 season and even though he suffered a concussion in the preseason game, he still attempted 420 passes (out which 263 were completed) for 2,799 yards and he had 14 touchdowns. He also rushed for 427 yards and had 4 touchdowns.
In March 2018, the Bills sold Taylor to the Cleveland Browns. Even though he was supposed to be the first-string quarterback, he has endured some poor performances as well as a back injury and concussion which have made him go down the pecking order. There are rumours that he may eventually be traded to the San Francisco 49ers.
Height, Weight and Other Interesting Facts
1. Tyrod Taylor is 6 feet 1 inch tall and weighs 217 pounds or 98kg. There is no doubt that his physique has contributed in turning him into the capable Quarterback that he is today.
2. His middle name is Diallo, His mother’s name is Triana Taylor while his dad’s name is Tyrod Taylor.
3. Taylor is a budding fashionista. A simple scroll through his Instagram page will reveal this as he regularly posts pictures of himself looking all decked out. His efforts have not gone unnoticed as Sports Illustrated recognized him as one of the 50 most fashionable athletes in the world in 2017
4. In week 5 of the 2015 season, Taylor set a record as he became the fifth quarterback in NFL history to catch a pass, run for at least 70 yards and throw for no less than 100 yards in a single game.
5. He has a charity foundation named Tyrod Taylor Foundation (T2 Foundation). It organizes football games and community events for young children.
6. Taylor is also a budding model. He walked the runway for Swedish menswear brand, CMMN SWDN during the showcasing of their 2019 spring/summer collection at the Paris Fashion Week.
7. Tyrod Taylor used to be crabber, that is a crab fisherman.