Ever Heard Of A Water Overdose? This Is What Doctors Advise About Drinking Too Much Water



Water Overdose – Of every health recommendation you come across today, water will be found somewhere in the list. It is a fact in biology that 80% of the body make-up is water; yet drinking too much water over a short period of time is dangerous to the health.

Water is good for rejuvenating the body systems. It helps the body get rid of toxins. Drinking sufficient water is good; however new findings discover that too much of it can lead to an overdose which is dangerous to health. There has been complicated cases linked to water overdose.

See Also: Start Each Day Drinking Water On An Empty Stomach – See Benefits

Medical experts at King’s College Hospital in south London assessed the medical state of a 59-year old woman who obeyed the recommendation of drinking plenty water to treat a Urinary Tract Infection.

She heeded the “drink plenty of water” advise and became “gravely ill”. The doctors discovered that she was suffering from hyponatremia.

Hyponatremia is the abnormal condition of low sodium level in the Blood. Most of the sodium in the body (about 85%) is found in blood and lymph fluid.

Medics find this state dangerous as the functions of sodium in the body includes maintaining a normal blood pressure; supporting the work of your nerves and muscles; and regulating your body’s fluid balance.

water-overdose1

With a significantly low level of sodium in the blood, these essential functions are jeopardized.

According to Mayo Clinic, the normal sodium level is between 135 and 145 milliequivalents per liter (mEq/L) of sodium. Hyponatremia occurs when the sodium in your blood falls below 135 mEq/L.

Hyponatremia can be caused by consumption of too many fluids, kidney failure, heart failure, cirrhosis, use of diuretics (and some other medication), severe vomiting or diarrhea; dehydration.

See Also: Everything You Need To Know About Heart Attacks And Water

Hyponatremia symptoms include nausea, vomiting and headaches while in serious cases, makes the brain swell, leading to confusion, seizures, coma and death.

So just how much water is too much water? Well the doctors said there was little evidence to know how much water constitutes just too much.

Thus there is no accurate specification of water quantities to be drunk in order to stay healthy. Nevertheless the way to go about it is to stay hydrated. An indication of being hydrated is passing clear urine.

Topics: