The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) was founded on April 1st, 1977. It is an incorporated Oil and Gas company through which the Federal Government regulates and participates in the country’s petroleum industry.
As you would expect from a company that deals in the very lucrative oil and gas industry, a lot of people look forward to gaining employment there. Countless prospective employees have been known to go the extra mile to get employment, to the extent that some get into the hands of fraudulent people who extort money from them in exchange for employment in the company. As you can guess, this doesn’t always pan out as expected. Below are details of what every hopeful employee of NNPC should know.
General Requirements For NNPC Recruitment Process
Here are the general requirements for the NNPC recruitment process that has to be met by every applicant;
- The applicant must be a citizen of Nigeria.
- He or she must be 18 years of age and not more than 35 years old irrespective of the level being applied for.
- The applicant must be mentally sound and free from natural disability.
- Applicants with second class upper division (2.1) can apply with their first degree only, while those with second class lower division (2.2) will have to augment the result by applying with a master’s degree. The applicant may also possess a Higher National Diploma (minimum of Upper Credit) with a Master’s Degree.
- Besides the qualification and result, the applicant must have graduated from a well-respected and recognized institution.
- He or she must have a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge certificate.
- He or she must have the willingness to work under pressure.
- The applicant must be of good character.
- And most essentially, the applicant must have good verbal and written communication and computer skills.
The Two Major Categories of NNPC Recruitment
There are two different categories of NNPC recruitment. They are:
- Entry Level: This category of employment is occupied by fresh graduates. This is one of the major ways through which the NNPC has been able to recruit its main staff. Recruitment into the entry-level isn’t done on a yearly basis but as the need arises. For example, after employing fresh graduates in 2012, they didn’t take in a new set until 2020.
- Manager/Experienced: This category comprises workers who have garnered experience in areas related to their field of specialization over the years, attended seminars, and attained a reasonable height in their organization. An individual who is a professional in a chosen field can have the opportunity to be hired on this level, or it could even be in-house. Either way, workers tend to enjoy high payment and numerous benefits at this point.
While most won’t consider this as employment per se, the NNPC has an internship program. This internship program affords applicants the opportunity to join the organization as a learner, hence providing the interns with knowledge on various areas of the organization and how to come to grips with the practical aspects of their area of specialization. However, the duration for this opportunity is between 3-24 months, depending on the discipline and institution.
Step By Step Guide of the NNPC Recruitment Application Process
Although the application is free, it must be established that it is not possible to register for NNPC jobs without going through the portal. Highlighted below are the NNPC recruitment requirements. It is important to follow the highlighted steps if you want to be successful in the NNPC Recruitment Process, as many who are qualified and followed the steps have had positive results.
- The first step is to open your internet browser and visit the NNPC recruitment site – https://careers.nnpcgroup.com.
- Create an account with the organization by providing your email address and name. Go ahead to create a password and then agree to the terms and conditions brought forward on the site and other required information. The applicant would then receive an ‘Account Creation Successful’ notification. Thereafter, the applicant can now proceed with the subsequent application process.
- The applicant will then indicate his or her job preference.
- After the job preference of the applicant has been indicated, all required documents are then scanned and uploaded.
- The applicant then fills out the bio-data form and other necessary documents.
- The last stage is to submit the application form.
NOTE: Applicants are to submit only one application as multiple applications may lead to disqualification.
How Does The Organization Notify Successful Candidates?
Only shortlisted candidates are contacted by means of their email. They also get the latest recruitment updates through their emails or by checking the NNPC recruitment site. Shortlisted candidates get an invitation for an oral interview which normally holds at the organization’s headquarters.
Other Uses Of NNPC Recruitment Portal
The NNPC recruitment portal can be used to check for latest information about the NNPC recruitment process and requirements; guidelines on the application process, categories of recruitment, recruitment and interview schedules, and also help desk contact.
To a large extent, applicants can keep track of their application or recruitment status or make fresh applications on the portal. Again, the NNPC recruitment portal provides clarity on the manner in which NNPC recruits, how they test applicants, and how NNPC shortlists and physically verify newly qualified candidates.
Basically, the NNPC recruitment portal (https://careers.nnpcgroup.com) was fashioned by the Nigerian Federal government to facilitate the creation, recruitment, and hiring of teeming unemployed Nigerians.
Some Facts You Should Know About The NNPC Recruitment Process
- Even though the NNPC doesn’t use a quota system when hiring, they try to comply with the Federal Character rules by employing people from every state in the country in a balanced manner. So what this translates to is that they hire a particular number of people from every state in Nigeria.
- In case you are wondering about the number of people hired per state, they do not have a fixed number, and it is also dependent on the number of people they choose to hire. It is pertinent to point out though that they hire a higher number of candidates from oil-producing states compared to non-oil producing states.
- Moreso, the recruitment process from the time of application can take 8 to 12 months.
After a candidate becomes successful and finally has the opportunity to join this revered organization, there will be in-house training to inculcate them and show them what is expected. The training for technical-related jobs can last for about 6 to 8 weeks, while training for others can range from between 2 to 4 weeks.