Babcock University is one of the first three private institutions to be accredited by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 1999 and has earned an award as the Best Private University in Africa. The institution began as Adventist College of West Africa (ACWA) with the sole aim of training church workers from the West African sub-region and kicked off with only seven ministerial students.
For the sake of history, ACWA was the first Nigerian institution that signed an affiliation agreement with Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan, USA. With two colleges, nine schools, and 26 academic provisions, the university offers admission for undergraduate, postgraduate, and part-time studies. Read on to know the details about admission requirements at Babcock University.
Where Exactly Is Babcock University Located?
Established by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, Babcock University (BU) is a Nigerian private co-educational institution of higher learning named after David C Babcock who was the then-pioneer of the church in Nigeria (1914). The school is located at Ilishan-Remo in Ogun State, between Ibadan and Lagos, Nigeria.
It graduated its first set of Bachelor of Arts degree holders in 1966 and today, Babcock University remains one of the most famous and largest universities in Nigeria and has produced thousands of graduates across the country. While you can visit the school at the location, you can also contact them by email via [email protected] or [email protected].
Requirements For Getting Admission Into Babcock University
First and foremost, all prospective candidates who are directly applying to Babcock University are demanded to sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and reach the university’s required general cut-off mark. Then, for the direct entry candidates, you have to apply for JAMB direct entry admission. Asides from BU, this is a prerequisite for entry into all Nigerian-approved universities.
In order to begin and complete Babcock University admission requirements, the intending candidates will need to meet the school’s general entry requirements which include:
- For first degree candidates – 5 credits at the GCE/SSCE/NECO Examinations or their equivalent, depending on the course they choose to study (at not more than 2 sittings); one sitting only for Medicine.
- Candidates less than the age of 15 should not apply.
- Candidates with awaiting results can apply but will be required to present acceptable qualifications before matriculation.
If you as the applicant met the above requirements, then you are to purchase Babcock University Admission Form for verification and screening exercise, and also fulfill the demands of the screening exercise. Before we give you the steps to follow when applying for the screening exercise, below is the list of approved colleges and faculties at Babcock university.
- School of Computing & Engineering Sciences (CES)
- Veronica Adeleke School of Social Sciences (VASS)
- School of Science & Technology (SAT)
- School of Law & Security Studies (LSS)
- Joel Awoniyi School of Education & Humanities (EAH)
- School of Management Sciences
- School of Public & Allied Health (PAH)
- Ben Carson Sr. School of Medicine
- School of Nursing Sciences (SON)
- College of Postgraduate Studies
- College of Health and Medical Sciences
Steps To Follow When Applying For BU Admission Online
After the completion and submission of your JAMB form, the following is the step-by-step application process.
- On your web browser, visit the school site to start the application process
- You will see a start application button in the middle of the page, click on it to create your log in details; type in a valid email address and telephone number to obtain your password
- Then log in with your username as your email address and password as sent to the email address you provided in step one
- Click to fill the form, ensure to provide all the necessary details required
- Upload your passport photograph according to the specified size and format
- Select from the options, your preferred screening center, and date of screening
- Take the application ID to a Wema bank, UBA, FirstBank, GTB, or Diamond bank to make payment. Tell the bank teller that you want to pay for Babcock Application Fees through the eTranzact platform. The application fee is ₦2,000 while the service charge is ₦350 making it a total of ₦2,350
- Once the payment is completed, log in again to the application system and click on Submit
- Finally, ensure to print your completed application form (which you will present on the day of screening)
What Is The Cut-off Mark For Babcock University?
For the 2021/2022 academic session, Jamb has fixed a general cut-off mark of 160 for all universities in Nigeria (Federal, state, and private). But then, universities still have the full right to fix theirs at a minimum of 160 or above. So, BU currently has theirs at 180, that is to say, candidates who registered BU as their choice must score at least 180 and above in UTME for them to be eligible to buy the school’s post UTME form.
Oftentimes, candidates who registered BU as their choice of institution get confused and tend to ask many questions regarding the university’s cut-off points. Here’s is the complete list of Babcock-approved courses and their departmental cut-off marks.
- Medicine (O’ Level result with one sitting only)
- Mass Communication
- Computer Science
- English Language
- All engineering courses except Agricultural and Bio-system Engineering.
- All other courses offered at the University
Worthy to note is the fact that preferential treatments on the basis of gaining admission are given to candidates who score higher marks in the screening exercise. As much as all the candidates that scored up to 180 are given opportunities to sit for the school’s post-UTME, there is quite more chance for the one who scored 240 than another who scored 190.
According to the school, candidates who score high marks in their post UTME but low marks in JAMB have a little edge over the ones who scored high marks in JAMB but low marks in their Post UTME. However, a high mark in both exams is preferred and gives you a better chance to gain admission.
Frequently Asked Questions About Babcock University Admission Requirements
Where is Babcock University located in Nigeria?
Ilishan-Remo, Ogun state, between Ibada and Lagos.
What is the Babcock University acceptance fee?
New students are expected to pay the sum of one hundred and fifty thousand naira to be accepted into the university (₦150,000.00)
Does Babcock University need JAMB?
Yes, all prospective candidates applying to BU must first sit for Jamb and attain the cut-off mark for their course of choice.
Are phones allowed at Babcock University?
Yes, Babcock does not restrict the use of mobile phones, however, students are not expected to wear jewelry.
What is the Babcock University general cut-off mark?
180 is the cut-off mark but there are different marks for different departments.
Does Babcock University accept direct entry?
Yes, direct entry students can apply if they already met the requirements listed above.
Does Babcock accept transfer students?
Yes, the student should follow the same application process as stated above.
Does Babcock University wear a uniform?
No, but indecent dressing is highly unacceptable. In lecture halls, males are expected to appear in suits while females, on skirts or dresses that must be at least 3 inches below the knee.