South Korea has blessed the world with some incredible k-pop artists and one of them is Jae Park. A singer, songwriter, composer and rapper; Park first rose to the limelight after emerging as a finalist on a popular Korean singing competition. Park is now the lead vocalist of sensational k-pop band, Day6. He and his bandmates have dropped several popular singles and have captured hearts all over the world.
Who is Jae Park and where is he from?
Park Jae-Hyung was born on the 15th of September 1992 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He has South Korean and American nationalities while his ethnicity is Korean. The singer has not revealed details about his family. It is however known that he has an elder sister and that he hails from a Christian family background.
Jae Park spent the first five years of his life in the Argentine capital of Buenos Aires. His family later relocated to South Korea, where they spent two years, before moving to Cerritos, California. In the States, Jae Park completed his diploma at Cerritos High School and subsequently studied political science at California State University Long Beach. He, however, did not complete his degree as his musical aspirations got the better of him.
Jae Park started exhibiting diverse musical talents (singing, songwriting, rapping & playing instruments) when he was just a child. As he grew older, he joined YouTube and started posting covers of popular songs on his channel – yellowpostitman. Jae Park finally got a breakthrough in 2012 when he passed the preliminary auditions of singing reality TV series, K-Pop Star. He called time on his college studies and moved to Korea in order to participate in the competition.
Jae Park later emerged as one of the six finalists of the show and earned a contract with a record label, JYP. JYP subsequently created the boyband, Day6, of which Park was one of the founding members. Other members of the group are Sungjin, Wonpil, Dowoon, Young K and Junhyeok (who eventually left the band).
What is he known for?
Park is popular as a member of the boyband, Day6. Day6 dropped their debut single, titled Lovely Girl, in 2014. Since then, the band has gone on to drop several successful albums and Eps including Sunrise, Moonrise, Unlock The Book of Us: Gravity, Daydream, The Day, Shoot Me: Youth Part 1, Remember Us: Youth Part 2. The band also organized a well-received EveryDay6 project which saw them drop two songs on the 6th of every month in the year 2017. The singles that emanated from the project include I Wait, You Were Beautiful, How Can I Say, I’m Serious, Dance, Dance, Man in a Movie, Say Wow, I Would, My Day and Goodbye Winter.
Park and his bandmates have headlined several tours and concerts which have thrilled fans to no end. Some of them include Day6 Live Concert D-Day (2015), Day6 Live Concert Dream (2016), EveryDay6 Concerts (2017 – 2018), Day6 Ist Live in Japan – The Best Day (2018), Day6 Christmas Special Concert “The Present”, Day6 First World Tour Youth (2018 – 2019), Day6 2nd Live in Japan (2018). Day6 have also been nominated for several awards including popularity award at the 2016 Seoul Music Awards, best band performance at 2016, 2017, and 2018 Mnet Asian Music Awards, and album of the year at the 2019 Golden Disc Awards. The band has so far won the award for best band music at the 2018 MBC Plus X Genie Music Awards.
Other Facts about Jae Park
1. He speaks English fluently but is not proficient in Korean. He has however disclosed that he dreams in Korean and Japanese languages.
2. The singer formed a debate club while in high school. It was therefore not surprising that he choose to study political science in college.
3. Park is allergic to numerous things including several kinds of fruits. The singer is also said to be lactose intolerant. This is the inability to fully digest sugar found in dairy products.
4. He often posts hilarious tweets on his twitter account and has a penchant for using too many hashtags. This has earned him the nickname, the hashtag king.
5. Park loves playing badminton as well as video games
6. He is the tallest amongst his bandmates. He is 6 feet tall (1.8m) and his weight is given as 65kg or 143lbs.
7. Park is not a fan of aegyo. For the uninitiated, aegyo is a display of cuteness which is popular in Korean culture and by extension, the k-pop world.
8. He often fiddles with his band’s Wikipedia page and loves changing the names of his bandmates.