In the past, a shopping center was just a place where you could walk in, buy anything you wanted, and leave after the transaction was over. However, over time, shopping centers have grown into something more fun – more like entertainment facilities – and they have become a common trend in various affluent societies, including Johannesburg which prides itself as the home of some of the biggest shopping malls in South Africa.
All of these malls have very unique features which make them a neighborhood favorite at their various locations. So, whether you’re visiting Johannesburg or you are a native and want to go shopping in the best areas, here is a list of the biggest shopping malls in the city for you to enjoy your shopping spree.
The Biggest and Finest Shopping Malls In Johannesburg
Joburg as one of Africa’s most visited cities in the world is an ideal shopping and fashion destination. It also ranks as one of Africa’s top shopping destinations, with designer stores, secondhand stores, malls, and outlets providing exciting shopping experiences for locals and tourists alike. This explains why every now and then a new store will open its doors to cater to the rising need of shopaholics who visit Joburg. Below is a comprehensive list of the 10 biggest shopping malls in the city as of now:
1. Fourways Mall in Johannesburg
- Location: 11 Ruby Cl, Witkopen, Sandton, 2068, South Africa
- Year It Opened: 1994
- Size: 178,000 square meters
- Number of Stores: 400 stores
- Best For: Shopping for a variety of goods
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 7 pm (Mondays to Saturdays); 9 am – 6 pm ( Sundays & Public Holidays)
Fourways Mall in Johannesburg is currently South Africa’s largest shopping mall. The property is reported to be owned by Accelerated Property Fund and they acquired the title as the largest shopping mall in South Africa after the massive renovation which commenced in 2016. The expansion and facelift given to the mall resulted in the mall’s size being extended to 178,000 square meters to accommodate up to 400 shops on the premises.
More so, there are 8,000 parking spaces at the mall and this contributes to Fourways Mall being a landmark facility in South Africa for a large number of consumers who enjoy the best of retail marketplaces, as well as entertainment.
2. Eastgate Shopping Centre
- Location: 43 Bradford Rd, Bedfordview, Germiston
- Year It Opened: 1979
- Size: 141,000 square meters
- Number of Stores: More than 300 stores
- Best For: Shopping for branded fashion items
- Opening Hours: 9 am to 6 pm daily
Eastgate Shopping Centre is a prominent brand in South Africa because of its amazing features. It is located in the eastern suburbs of Johannesburg and has undergone some renovations over the years which makes it bigger and better than before.
This leading South African mall definitely has a lot in store because there are a plethora of stores to explore and enjoy, as well as plenty of eateries to keep you fueled for your shopping binge. More so, if you need to relax and put your feet up for a while, the spectacular IMAX Theatre is a fantastic spot to do so while watching one of the newest blockbuster movies.
3. Cresta Shopping Centre
- Location: Corner Beyers Naude Drive and Weltevreden Road, Cresta, Randburg, Johannesburg
- Year It Opened: 1977
- Size: 104, 145 square meters
- Number of Stores: Over 250 stores
- Best For: Buying high-quality fashion items, food, tech gadgets, and the CrestAquarium
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 6 pm (Monday to Thursday), 9 am – 7 pm (Friday), 9 am – 6 pm (Saturday), 9 am – 3 pm (Sunday & Public Holidays)
Over the years, Cresta has developed into a Johannesburg shopping and leisure icon. This distinguished mall has more than 250 businesses and an enormous variety of high-quality services which has given the shopping complex that nostalgic appeal for many of its customers who have been coming for years. So, if you’re in Randburg and want to enjoy an all-encompassing shopping experience that includes fantastic entertainment, good cuisine, all of the latest fashions and technology under one roof, as well as family-friendly fun, make a point of visiting Cresta Shopping Centre.
More so, a game arcade, a Ster-Kinekor Cinema Prestige, and Gold Rush Bingo, as well as a range of local and international eateries, have recently undergone major renovations to create a 3-level food and entertainment court. The shopping center is also notable for its aquarium which is located in the center of the food and entertainment court where visitors/ shoppers are introduced to over 30 different types of fish – this is part of the initiative to make the center a fun place for the whole family to visit.
4. Westgate in Johannesburg
- Location: 120 Ontdekkers Rd, Horizon View, Roodepoort, 1725, South Africa
- Year It Opened: 1985
- Size: 109, 418 square meters
- Number of Stores: Over 180
- Best For: National chain retailers, fast food eateries, and multiplex movie theaters
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 6 pm (Monday to Friday), 9 am to 5 pm (Saturday), 9 am to 4 pm (Sunday & Public Holidays)
When it originally opened its doors for business in October of 1985, Westgate Shopping Centre became one of Joburg’s earliest mega-regional retail attractions. Its strategic placement along major highways and BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) routes, as well as its closeness to Western suburbia, enables the mall to provide easy access to its target audiences.
More so, Westgate’s simple design and newly revamped lower level and layout make for easy navigation of its diverse offering – with this, shopping has become a largely shared experience and adventure for the family. It is also worth knowing that the mall is home to wide-ranging retail outlets, anchored by big retail brands across the globe which is another reason why it is a fantastic destination for your shopping whether you are a local or a tourist in the area.
5. Sandton City
- Location: 83 Rivonia Rd, Sandhurst, Sandton, South Africa
- Year It Opened: 1973
- Size: 143,803 square meters
- Number of Stores: More than 300
- Best For: Multiple retail outlets, top-notch medical stores, eateries, and other leisure facilities
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 7 pm (Monday to Saturday), 9 am – 6 pm (Sunday & Public Holidays)
Shopping in Sandton City is one of Johannesburg’s favorite pleasure spots as it allows residents to escape the city’s bustle while peacefully buying items or window-shopping under the soft caress of air conditioning. The mall is one of South Africa’s largest shopping complexes, as well as one of Africa’s most prestigious shopping malls as it has everything from high-end luxury clothing to local handicrafts and cutting-edge technology. While there, ensure that you also visit their pubs, cafés, and restaurants where you may sip the best coffee in the world, eat freshly made pastries, and experiment with local specialties – all under one roof.
Sandton City is also a premier fashion and leisure destination, with major local and international retailers showcasing their wares at different locations in the complex. There is definitely something for everyone, from international and exclusive brands on the Diamond Walk for the fashionista to Hamley’s delights for the little ones. More so, there are regularly entertaining and exciting events around the mall, making it an ideal spot for a family hangout with the ideal photo spot beside the large sculpture of Nelson Mandela at Nelson Mandela Square.
6. Mall of Africa
- Location: Magwa Cres, Halfway House, Midrand, South Africa
- Year It Opened: 2016
- Size: 130, 000 square meters
- Number of Stores: More than 300 shops
- Best For: Shopping for top fashion brand-name fashion and fast food
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 8 pm (Monday to Saturdays), 10 am -.8 pm ( Sundays & Public Holidays)
Mall of Africa is the largest mall in South Africa to have been erected in a single phase. It is notable for being located in a very strategic place that is at the Waterfall City, between Johannesburg and Pretoria. This grand shopping complex has over 300 shops, many of which are flagship stores of both foreign and local brands, are housed in this notable South African shopping mall. Mall of Africa is a place where you can get everything from fashion and home items to eateries and a movie theater under a single roof. More so, when visiting this retail hub, one of the aspects that sticks out is how easy it is to navigate through the center, thanks to its distinct court areas – Food Court, Town Square, Woolworths Court, Crystal Court, and Edgars Court. You can easily find anything from Forever 21, Versace, and Starbucks to Bobbi Brown, Carrol Boyes, and Cipria at the boutiques.
The Mall of Africa’s architecture is influenced by the continent’s natural features and renowned sceneries. Interestingly, this mall hasn’t been there as long as other high-profile malls in South Africa as it was built in 2016, but it has quickly established itself as one of Joburg’s top shopping attractions in less than a decade of existence.
7. Melrose Arch
- Location: 60 Melrose Blvd, Melrose North, Johannesburg, 2076, South Africa
- Year It Opened: 2003
- Size: 250,000 square meters
- Number of Stores: 100
- Best For: Shopping for designer brands, restaurants, and coffee shops
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 5 pm (Mondays to Saturdays), 9 am – 4 pm (Sundays & Public Holidays)
Melrose Arch is a premium gathering place for friends and it is located in Johannesburg’s finest retail and lifestyle area. Its urban liveliness and street-based layout give it a fantastic vibe at all hours of the day and night. The mall is also home to more than 20 eateries and coffee shops, and houses over 100 of the country’s best-known retail brands.
Melrose Arch is also a perfect shopping spot for automobiles as one can get to see numerous car brands showcasing their cars. The place is basically an entertainment and recreational destination that draws both international visitors and residents looking for an affluent experience. With its own café culture, gorgeous boutiques, high-street fashion, and people-friendly meeting spaces, this precinct feel like its own small city. Don’t forget to stop and observe the beautiful architecture and lively environment of this place whenever you are in Joburg!
8. Bedford Centre
- Location: Smith and, Van Der Linde Rd, Bedfordview, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Year It Opened: 1970
- Size: 86,000 square meters
- Number of Stores: Over 100 stores
- Best For: Luxury shopping
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 6 pm (Monday to Friday), 9 am – 5 pm (Saturday), 9 am – 3 pm (Sunday & Public Holidays)
Bedford, proudly located in the center of Bedfordview, is one of Johannesburg’s greatest fashion and shopping attractions. With over 170 exquisite stores and a variety of scrumptious eateries, Bedford Centre is the place to go for shoppers and fashionistas who enjoy luxury goods. The mall also has two pristine theatres, a complete banking court, and an entertainment section. You must be present to enjoy the unparalleled ambiance of one of Johannesburg’s most sought-after lifestyle attractions. More so, this shopping complex consistently serves the needs of its clientele by expanding its ever-growing range of luxury brands and creating one-of-a-kind campaigns tailored to fashion aficionados.
It’s interesting to note that the building’s architectural style is now a modern-day classic, having been built in the early 1970s then completely reorganized and remodeled in 2003. The ultra-chic Bedford Piazza connects the east and west wings of the Centre, culminating in the ultra-chic Bedford Piazza, a European-inspired open-air courtyard surrounded by exquisite restaurants, a children’s play area, and welcoming coffee shops that attract the creative class.
9. The Zone @ Rosebank
- Location: 177 Oxford Rd, Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Year It Opened: 1970
- Size: 317,500 square meters
- Number of Stores: Up to 150
- Best For: Shopping for high-street fashion items
- Opening Hours:
- First Floor – 9 am – 7 pm (Monday to Thursday), 9 am – 9 pm (Friday & Saturday), 10 am – 5 pm (Sunday)
- Ground Floor – 9 am – 6 pm (Monday to Thursday), 9 am – 7 pm (Friday & Saturday), 10 am – 5 pm (Sunday)
- Festive Holiday – 10 am – 5 pm
Rosebank in Joburg is a fashionable and lively neighborhood and The Zone @ Rosebank is the place to visit if you’re looking for a little retail therapy, a leisurely lunch, a fun day out with the kids, or simply window-shopping. This mall practically has everything to keep the kids entertained, from a variety of eateries to The Fun Company, movie theatres, bowling spots, as well as some top-notch retail boutiques. More so, it is the ideal place to visit if you’re seeking exotic food, fashion, and entertainment.
The Zone @ Rosebank is indisputably a modern mall in Johannesburg’s well–established and trendy Rosebank district as it offers access to vast retail outlets, offices, a gym, underground parking, and more.
10. Norwood Mall
- Location: Sarie Marais Rd, Norwood, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Year It Opened: 2005
- Size : 33,834 square meters
- Number of Stores: More than 50 stores
- Best For: Variety shopping
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 6 pm (Monday to Friday), 9 am – 5 pm (Saturday), 9 am – 3 pm (Sunday 7 Public Holidays)
Norwood Mall is another commendable shopping complex in South Africa which is located in Norwood, Johannesburg. The mall offers a wide range of products and services which can be accessed from a wide range of big brands such as Pick ‘n Pay Hypermarket, Food Lover’s Market, and Woolworths Food.
The mall is also a neighborhood favorite because it has adequate undercover parking space on the roof, basement, as well as spacious open parking bays that are easy to access irrespective of the time you get to visit the mall. More so, you get to have up to 1-hour free parking privilege to give you ample time to shop.