The education sector in most countries and regions of the world has continued to make a paradigm shift from its age-long brick-and-mortar identity to a more diverse and efficient technology-driven base. West Africa has not been left out as one of the region’s biggest examination boards; the West African Examinations Council recently launched the WAEC e-learning platform, an online learning resource center for prospective WAEC candidates to keep learning amidst the Covid-19 lockdown and prepare for their WAEC examinations.
What WAEC e-learning Platform Is All About
The WAEC e-learning platform is designed with the sole aim of allowing students to register for online lessons in all WAEC approved subjects to prepare for upcoming WAEC examinations.
However, in the words of the WAEC official statement regarding the E-learning platform, “On this platform you will find resources for all WAEC approved subjects that will help you understand the standards required for success in respective examinations.”
The WAEC e-Learning resource has all subjects and Chief Examiner’s Report for the past ten (10) years. It should also be noted that registration on the portal is absolutely free of charge.
In a nutshell, the main objectives of the WAEC e-learning platform are:
- The portal is to enlighten candidates on the reasons most candidates who sat for previous WAEC examinations performed below expectations.
- To help candidates avoid the errors that made previous candidates record below-average performance.
- To help candidates check the Chief Examiners Reports from 2008 to 2020 and get acquainted with marking schemes of the examination and what the body expects from candidates.
- The portal also gives a comprehensive analysis of candidates’ performance in all subjects. Thus, identifying their strengths and weaknesses, what they failed to do, and what they should have done to perform better.
- Additionally, it is to effectively engage candidates before, during, and after examinations, notwithstanding school closure.
Who Is Qualified To Access The WAEC e-Learning Portal?
It is for the general public but most especially candidates preparing to sit for the WAEC examination (May/June) or WAEC GCE examination.
Thus, the council encourages all students preparing for Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination SSCE now or in the future to visit the site and prepare for the examination using available resources provided on the platform.
WAEC Approved Subjects Available On The Portal
Here is a list of all the WAEC approved subjects with their past questions and answers available on the portal, under the different categories. Candidates are advised to choose the combination of subjects that they wish to sit for accordingly:
Under languages, the following subjects are found:
- Islamic studies
- Literature- in- English
Under general, the following subjects are found:
- Christian Religious Studies
- Visual Arts
- Civic education
- Leather Goods Manufacturing & Repairs
- Painting and decorating
Under Business, the following subjects are found:
- Financial Accounting
- Office practice
- Book Keeping
- Store Keeping
- Store management
- Automobile Parts Merchandising
Under Science, the following subjects are found:
- Animal husbandry
- GSM Phone Maintenance & Repairs
- Agricultural science
- Health education
Mathematics and Applied Science
Under Mathematics and Applied Science, you will find the following subjects:
- Further mathematics
- General mathematics
- Basic Electronics
- Radio, TV & Electric works
- Basic Electricity
- Data Processing
- Computer Studies
- Auto Electrical works
Under Home Economics, the following subjects are found:
- Garment making
- Clothing & Textiles
- Home Management
- Food & nutrition
- Catering craft practice
Civil And Mechanical
Under Civic and Mechanical, the following subjects are found:
- Air conditioning/Refrigeration
- Auto body Repairs and Spray painting
- Auto Mechanics
- Blocking laying, Bricklaying, and concrete works.
- Building construction
- Building Construction
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Electric Installation &- maintenance
- Machine Woodworking
- Metalwork Plumbing & pipe fitting
The portal covers virtually all the subject combinations any candidate prefers to write in his or her WAEC examinations. It should also be noted that these subjects are the same that are taught in all secondary schools in West Africa as the WAEC curriculum is the same across West Africa.
How To Access and Practice On The WAEC e-Learning Portal
The WAEC E-learning portal has been designed to be quite user-friendly; here is an outline of the steps that would guide students in accessing this platform easily.
- First, logon to the portal https://www.waeconline.org.ng/e-learning/
- After you successfully logged into the portal, go through the list of subjects, click on your subject of interest to reveal the resources and papers available
- Click on a resource of your choice to reveal its content. Then click on the content to access it.
- Click on the next buttons to go through the Chief Examiners Reports.
You would also see segments for the General Comments, Weakness/Remedies, and Strengths of previous students’ performance arranged horizontally on the same page. You could click on either of these segments that may interest you.
Frequently Asked Question About WAEC E-Learning Platform
These questions are among the most frequently asked questions about the WAEC e-learning platform.
- What is WAEC e-learning?
The WAEC E-learning platform is an online portal launched by the West Africa Examination Council to help candidates sit for the WASSCE practice for the examination online.
2. Do I need any special requirements to access the portal?
No! the portal is for the general public but most especially candidates preparing to sit for the WAEC examination (May/June) or WAEC GCE examination.
3. What is the importance of the WAEC e-learning platform?
The portal gives candidates free access to past questions and other resources to prepare for their West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).
4. How can I access the WAEC e-learning portal?
Accessing the portal is simple and free. You can access the portal by clicking on https://www.waeconline.org.ng/e-learning/
With this innovation, students are counseled to do themselves some good and take advantage of this rare opportunity to learn and prepare for their WAEC examinations through this e-learning platform in their comfort zones while the lockdowns last and even afterward since it could be accessed using both Smartphones and computer and it for the fact that it is completely free of charge.