The saying that a country can never grow beyond the level of education of its people resonates with people worldwide. This is why a country like Ghana who already appears to be at a disadvantage by being an African country, has gone all out in recent times to invest in the education sector heavily. The Ghana Education Service (GES), which was established in 1974 and now boasts of staff strength of more than 340,000, was created to ensure that all Ghanaian children of school-going age irrespective of their tribe, gender, religion, and political affiliations, are provided with inclusive and equitable quality formal education, which will be relevant to the manpower needs of the nation. Moreover, with the GES online application, thousands of prospective teachers and applicants now have the chance to apply for any opportunity to work where they can make a difference.
What To Know About The GES Online Application
To make the application process seamless, the Ghana Education Service has made online applications available. Unlike the previous years where qualified applicants had to apply to the Municipal Director of Education, Obuasi, the online application is supposed to make the application process easier to manage for both the applicants and the GES. It is definitely a step in the right direction.
There are different divisions in the GES that one can apply to depending on one’s qualifications. Some of them include The Guidance and Counselling Unit, School Health Education Programme Unit, Special Education Division, Secondary Education Division, Basic Education Division, and the Technical and Vocational Education Division.
- Once you get to the site, click on the tab that says ‘Recruitment’ or just visit https://gespromotions.gov.gh/apply_recruitment.
- Once the site is fully loaded, you will see a link to start filling the form, click on it.
- The application form is in sections and the first section has to do with your personal information. Here, you are expected to provide your personal details, including your full name, date, place and region of birth, nationality, email, marital status, and phone number.
- After filling out all your personal details, the next section is the certification. Here, you are expected to provide your NTC Licensure Number and also provide details about your result by clicking on ‘Pass’ or ‘Fail.’ You will also provide your “College of Education Index Number” and then the details about your results by clicking on ‘Pass’ or ‘Fail.’ The next step is to enter your NSS number, district of NSS posting, region of NSS posting, and year of completion of NSS.
- After the certification section, you move to the section where you upload your passport photograph and a scanned copy of your certificate. The certificates to upload are your National Service Certificate, College or University diploma or degree certificates, birth certificate, and your licensure examination certificate.
- Once your certificates have been rightfully uploaded, the submit application form button comes up. It is important to cross-check that the certificates have been uploaded. You can confirm by making sure the areas where you uploaded your certificate are green and it also shows “view document.”
- After all certificate upload has been confirmed and all sections cross-checked, you can go ahead and submit the application.
Other Things To Note About the Ghana Education Service (GES) Online Application
- For record-keeping purposes, it is possible to print your application form after submitting it. There is a “Click to Print Submitted Form” button that comes up after submission.
- The certificates uploaded should be in pdf format.
- Ensure that your scanned certificates are not too large. The site has a size limit and all certificates uploaded shouldn’t be more than 10mb altogether.
It should be noted that the Ghana Education Service (GES) Online Application is totally free so applicants are advised not to apply through an agent or 3rd party as the selection process will be strictly based on merit.
List of Documents Needed For The Application Process
Here is a list of all the documents needed for the application process
- 4 passport photographs
- Recruitment form (to be gotten at the GES account office or filled online)
- Recommendation letter (For those already presently doing voluntary work with GES)
After one has had a successful application and have been selected, to complete one’s posting, here is a list of other documents that will be needed
- Birth Certificate
- Junior High School Certificate (BECE)
- Senior High School Certificate (WASSCE)
- SSNIT/TIN Number
- NTC Certificate
How Can One Qualify For GES Application?
Most of the time, the service already has a list of vacancies from their various divisions which one can apply to if qualified. The vacant positions are made available to the general public on their website and several other public platforms. Sometimes, for vacancies in the teaching division, the GES can prioritize high-demand subjects like French, Early Childhood, Sciences, and so on.
For example in 2019, the GES sent out a press release for the recruitment of teachers who graduated from colleges of education. Moreover, there are some things to consider in terms of qualification for the Ghana Education Service (GES) Online Application.
- The applicant must be a Ghanaian citizen by birth with no criminal record.
- The applicant must have a first degree from an accredited university in a related field with a grade not below a Second Class Lower.
- The applicant should be between the ages of 21 to 35.
- Candidates who wish to apply for teaching positions must have completed the mandatory national service, passed the Teacher Licensure Examination, and should have completed their final year College of Education Examination for those in the Colleges.
- Candidates should also be ready to work anywhere they are posted to by the GES.
The Director of the Human Resource Management Division in the person of Mrs. Adjoa Van Vicker has reiterated in a signed statement that there are limited vacancies in the service and candidates who do not meet the listed criteria will not be shortlisted.
This Is How You Check Your GES Postings
To check your GES posting, visit https://gespromotions.gov.gh/coepostings. You will be required to provide your ‘Index Number’ and your ‘e-Voucher Card Number.’ After providing the details, click on submit and the system will come up with your posting.
From all indications, the Ghana Education Service online application, selection process, and posting are purely merit-based. According to the service, successful candidates should be prepared to work wherever they are posted to as some positions will require relocation to their designated region of operation. Moreover, GES reserves the right to post recruited teachers to where their services are needed.