The best part of the modern banking system offered by the largest and best banks in Nigeria is that they allow you to perform transactions at any time and from any location. In this light, you can transfer money from one Ecobank account to another, or from an Ecobank account to an account in a different bank using any of its several online and offline options that are most convenient for you. This article discusses these different transfer methods and explains elaborately how to use the bank’s USSD code.
Different Transfer Options For Ecobank Account Holders
As mentioned earlier, you can carry out transactions, including fund transfer through any of the several offline and online options provided by Ecobank. The different transfer methods available are;
- Mobile App
- USSD Code
- Going to a branch
All other methods listed above are available 24/7, except going to a branch which is limited to the working hours of the bank. However, it has its benefits as we will see later in the article.
How to Transfer Money on Ecobank Mobile App
The bank’s mobile app, like every other app, needs to be downloaded and installed before you can access it. It is available on Google PlayStore and Apple Store and runs on smartphones that have Android, iOS, and Windows Operating systems. It is also important to note that this service functions differently for different countries.
Before you can make transfers, you need to download and register on the app. To register on the app,
- You must have an account with the bank, either savings or current.
- You must have access to the phone number and email with which you opened the account.
- It is also important to have a functioning ATM/ debit card.
After downloading the Ecobank mobile app from any of the app stores,
- Continue with the usual installation and launching.
- The first page to appear gives you two options to either ‘Log in’ or ‘Register’. If you have registered before, simply input your log-in details. Else, click on the ‘Register’ button to start the registration process.
- The next page to come up will display different spaces where you need to fill in your details. The details required will also be indicated.
- Upon completion, verify that the details you provided are correct before continuing the registration process.
- Remember to keep the transaction pin you generate during the registration process safely.
- Now, you can perform different transactions, including transfers to other Ecobank accounts or accounts of other banks. However, charges apply for these transactions.
Steps for Transferring Money Using Ecobank USSD Code
The best part about using the USSD code is that you do not need a smartphone to carry out transactions. With any type of phone that can be used to make calls and send messages, you can carry out whatever transaction you wish. However, before you become eligible to use the code, you need to activate it using the phone number with which you registered your Ecobank account.
To activate the banking code;
- First, dial the code, *326# from the number linked to your bank account.
- Next, an option appears for you to provide basic details about the debit card that is linked to the account. Enter the details in the space provided and continue with the registration.
- After that, you will need to verify whether or not you have access to the account.
- Entering the required details correctly will lead you to the next step.
- When you have provided the needed details, click on submit to complete the registration process.
- The next requirement is a secret transaction PIN with which you will authorize all future transactions. Make sure that the digits you provided are easy to remember, but should not be shared with anyone as whoever has the PIN can perform transactions from your account without your consent.
- Finally, click submit and wait for a confirmation SMS to confirm that your registration was successful.
To make transfers after activating the code;
- Dial the code, *326# with the number linked to your account
- Select the fund transfer option to continue
- Enter the account details of the recipient and the amount you wish to transfer in the spaces required
- Verify the details provided before confirming the transaction
- Finally, enter your 4-digit PIN to complete the transaction.
How to Transfer Money Online From Your Ecobank Account
Ecobank online banking is unique in the sense that what you need is neither an app nor a code, but your profile details which you must register before you can perform any transaction. If you have not registered for internet banking before, you need to do so to obtain your unique ID and password.
- Click here to download the needed form.
- Choose your country from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the activity you want to perform on the platform. In this case, “Activate an Ecobank Product”.
- After that, select internet banking.
- Next, click on your state, then type in your account number and account type in the spaces provided.
- Ensure that the internet banking option you choose is correct. Also, fill in the correct basic information, and provide an active phone number and email address.
- After this, submit the form to the Ecobank office nearest to you.
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive a notification bearing your login details.
- You can now visit the bank website and log in with your unique ID and password. Note that these details will be sent to the email you provided in the form.
Now that you can access internet banking, you can conveniently make transfers on the platform by following these steps.
- Login with your login details
- Select “In—Country Transfer”
- Choose the account from which you wish to transfer the money
- Type in the details of the receiver
- Input the amount to be transferred
- Confirm the details and submit
Steps For Transferring Money With an ATM Card
If you do not wish to make transfers with any of the aforementioned methods, you can also use the ATM service to send money to people. Although you can use the Ecobank ATM/debit card on the ATM of any bank, it is advisable to use an Ecobank ATM.
- To use the machine, you should have an active debit card. Insert your debit card into the machine.
- Next, enter your ATM card’s 4-digit PIN.
- Choose “Fund Transfer”
- Select the bank of the receiver.
- Type in the account number of the receiver.
- Choose the bank account type from which the transfer is to be made.
- Type in the desired amount and confirm the transaction.
- You can print a receipt as proof of transaction.
You Can Go to a Branch to Make Transfer
Although not the most preferred option for most people, sometimes, there may be a need to visit a branch of the bank to carry out a fund transfer. Unlike other methods of money transfer mentioned above, the option of going to the bank is not available 24/7. Transactions are limited to working hours. Also, since it requires your physical presence, you will have to leave the comfort of your home.
However, the positive side of visiting the bank is that you can perform limitless transactions. Unlike other banking methods that may be limited to a particular amount per transaction and per day, visiting the bank allows you to perform transfers with almost no form of limitations. You can also use the opportunity to resolve any form of issue you have with the account.