MTN is a telecommunication company that is present in 21 countries in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East and the company is still expanding. It is one of the most diverse telecom companies in Africa. If you are looking for the MTN GPRS browsing settings, this article tells you how to configure your mobile phone to be able to access GPRS/ 3G/ Data/ Internet browsing functions.
If you are using a mobile device with MTN as your network provider, you would need to configure your phone with the MTN settings. Ideally, your dongle (modem) or data card.
Requesting for MTN GPRS/ Data Configuration Settings
You can request for MTN browsing settings by a very simple process.
1. Type SETTINGS in capital letters as a text message
2. Send the message to 3888.
If your phone is such that can receive the settings automatically, you will first receive a notification that tells you to save the settings that the network will send to you and in a short while, settings will be sent to you which you will be required to save.
The text message costs nothing. Sometimes, especially when your mobile device is 3.5G ready, it may have come with the configuration settings installed already but there is no harm in sending SETTINGS to 3888 to be double sure.
Some mobile phones may not be able to receive the network settings automatically in which case you would be required to input the settings manually.
This is done by entering the information below in the network settings of your phone which are usually found in the general settings of your mobile device. The information is as follows:
- Account Name = MTN GPRS
- Access Point Name (APN) = web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net
- Port = 9201 (for WAP) or 8080 (for HTML)
- IP Address = 10.199.212.2
- Username = web
- Password = web
The same configuration settings apply to all MTN GPRS and 3.5G. When you buy your devices from an MTN service center, however, all these internet settings are already programmed in. MTN has two main router options. There is the 3.5G FastLink USB modem which costs around N5,000 from MTN and is also compatible with 3G/EDGE/GPRS.
MTN also has the portable Wi-Fi router that enables you to share your internet access with up to five Wi-Fi devices within a 10m range. This device is known as the MTN Mi-Fi and costs about N21,000 with 3GB free internet browsing bundle. This free bundle can be activated by texting MIFI to 131.
MTN has some really good data plan options to help a variety of individuals and needs. Below we list them so you can make the most informed decision for your next subscription.
- 1.5GB MTN mobile data plan (24/7 30 days) – N1000
- 3.5GB MTN mobile data plan (24/7 30 days) – N2000
- 10GB MTN data plan (24/7 30 days) – N5,000
- 22GB MTN data plan (24/7, 30 days) – N10,000
- 50GB MTN data plan (24/7, 60 days) – N20,000
- 85GB MTN data plan (24/7, 90 days) – N50,000
- 750MB MTN for mobile (24/7, 7 days) – N500
- 30MB (24 hours) – N100
- 100MB (24 hours) – N200
How to Check Data balance
You can follow the instructions below to activate any of the MTN browsing bundle listed above and check your data balance.
- 1.5GB (24/7 30 days) – text 106 to 131
- 3.5GB mobile data plan (24/7 30 days) – text 110 to 131
- 10GB MTN data plan (24/7 30 days) – text 116 to 131
- 22GB MTN data plan (24/7 30 days) – text 117 to 131
- 50GB MTN data plan (24/7 30 days) – text 118 to 131
- 85GB MTN data plan (24/7 30 days) – text 133 to 131
- MTN Daily data plan for mobile, 30MB (24 hours) – SMS 104 to 131
- MTN Daily data plan, 100MB – text 113 to 131
- 750MB Weekly browsing for mobile, 750MB – text 103 to 131
To check your MTN browsing data balance, SMS 2 to 131.
MTN has an option for transferring credit known as Share ‘N’ Sell. With it, you can send credit to other MTN customers from your MTN line. The process is really simple and we will share it below.
- Change default pin: Send an SMS with ‘0000 1234 1234’ to 777
- Send an SMS with Transfer, Recipient’s Number, Amount and PIN to 777
- Wait for a message asking you to confirm that you want to make the transfer
- SMS ‘YES’ to 777
Alternatively, you can transfer credit from your phone to another MTN customer’s phone by dialing *600*Recipient’s Number*Amount*PIN# on your phone and then clicking on send/press ok.
With Share ‘N’ Sell you can transfer credit from a minimum amount of N50 to a maximum amount of N5,000 on each transaction. You can transfer up to a total amount of N10,000 daily.
10 Self-Made African Millionaires You Should Know
5 Fascinating African Inventions
10 Tallest Buildings in Africa
Top 10 Fastest Developing Countries in the World
Top 10 Problems of Africa
Best 10 African Movies