There are sculptures, and then there are masterpieces. Some sculptors from around the world have been able to turn what would have been mundane into amazing sculptures.
Below are 15 of the most amazing sculptures from around the world that are thought-provoking and inspire arts appreciation.
1. Maman by Louis Bourgeois, London, Uk
Arachnophobes might want to stay away from this one at night.
2. Fairy Dancing With Dandelion By Robin Wight, Uk
Never hath a dandelion looked so delicate.
3. Inner Children Trapped Inside Adult Bodies By Alexander Milov
Thought-provoking and powerful.
4. The Caring Hand, Glarus, Switzerland
More like the “palm tree”, no pun intended.
5. Freedom Sculpture By Zenos Frudakis, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
The sculpture says it all.
6. Diminish And Ascend By David Mccracken, Bondi, Australia
A beautiful optical illusion of a stairway to heaven.
7. Vicissitudes By Jason Decaires Taylor, Grenada, West Indies
Vicissitudes was created with the aim of creating a foundation for a new coral reef to grow. Brilliant!
8. Gallipoli War Memorial, Eceabat, Turkey
Life-sized sculptures depicting the trench warfare of World War II
9. Les Voyageurs By Bruno Catalano, Marseilles, France
A remarkable surreal bronze sculpture of a traveller.
10. Release by Marco Cianfanelli, South Africa
A masterpiece created in the 50th year of Madiba’s capture. It was created with 50 columns to represent those 50 years.
11. Non-Violence Sculpture by Carl Fredrik Reuterswärd, Turtle Bay, New York, USA
Created after the murder of singer and peace activist, John Lennon.
12. Heart Of Trees By Jaume Plensa, Yorkshire Sculpture Park
This would make a good ‘Save Our Trees’ campaign.
13. African Renaissance Monument, Dakar Senegal.
Africa’s own ‘Statue of liberty’.
14. Nuria and Irma By Jaume Plensa, Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
Another creative work by Jaume Plensa.
15. Feltépve By Ervin Loránth Hervé, Budapest, Hungary
Feltépve means ‘ripping up’ — quite apt.