South Sudan has rejected a UN proposal for the Security Council to send 4,000 more troops to the war-torn country.
The east African nation rejected this bid implying that it would lead to a return to colonialism.
On August 8, the United States circulated a draft resolution which recommended sending an additional 4000 troops to South Sudan.
The resolution also proposed an arms embargo to be imposed against the east African nation if the government fails to comply.
South Sudan’s fears that the UN proposal will lead to imperialism stems from a suggestion made by a US special envoy who said that the United Nations and African Union should both administer the country since peace has been elusive since its secession from Sudan.
The UN has also accused the government of starting a crackdown on UN workers and aides. The UN stated that the government has prevented it from going south of the capital, several passport of UN workers were also seized in what South Sudan’s foreign minister called a “temporary safety measure”.
The east African nation has also rejected food aid from the World Food Programme. The WFP nonetheless, has warned on the risk of food shortages.
Former Vice President and Rebel leader of South Sudan, Riek Machar fled the country saying that he will only return on the grounds that a peacekeeping force be deployed to the capital, Juba.
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) had previously stated that South Sudan had agreed for a regional force to be deployed. Government spokesperson, Makuei, however, denied the government agreeing to it.
“If South Sudan is turned into a UN protectorate, then this is not the end of the game but the beginning,”
“It will begin with South Sudan, but it will end up with all of us being turned into new colonies,” the government spokesman, Makuei, said.