The Thomson Reuters and Venture Capital For Africa (VC4A) will be awarding one of the nominated start-ups from the Africa Startups Challenge at the ongoing Africa Summit 2016 taking place in Cape Town, South Africa.
The Thomson Reuters Africa Summit, which was created as a platform to help African startups grow into lucrative businesses, will grant the winner a $10,000 cash prize.
Here are the nominees:
- Abacus: Abacus helps investors make and execute smarter, faster and more decisions by providing access to real-time market data, news and analytics for the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
- Academix: Academix is an aggregator and e-library of Nigeria focused research and knowledge resources, cutting across multiple disciplines.
- AgroData: AgroData is an AgriTech firm which deploys technology to make tropical farming more efficient.
- African Markets: African Markets is a web platform entirely dedicated to African stocks.
- BenBen: BenBen uses blockchain technology to provide governments , financial institutions, realtors and the general public instant access to property information through an easy to use searchable interface.
- Ensibuuko: Ensibuuko offers financial institutions an easy and efficient means to manage and track information and to reach underserved (unbanked) communities such as farmers.
- Farmdrive: Farmdrive is a mobile tech, agri-tech startup that looks to advance bankable farmer initiatives.
- Kwanji: An online FX comparison and payment platform providing businesses in Africa with unrestricted access to the very best FX rates.
- Mavuno: Mavuno is a mobile tech and supply chain startup that connects farmers and urban wholesale traders through SMS in East Africa.
- Ripple Nami: This offers an intuitive visualisation platform that allows anyone to map their world with real-time information, enabling them to make better and faster critical decisions.
- Smart Finance: Smart Finance makes it easy for micro-businesses to keep track of their financial activities, maintain business records and subsequently gain access to finance.
SEE ALSO: The 22 Newcomers To The 2016 Forbes 400
- Tech 4 Farmers: Tech 4 Farmers is a global agribusiness and financial services provider operating a digital commodities exchange hedged with warehouse receipts.
- Vault: de-risks investor communications through a SaaS model that ensures timely and relevant information is delivered to investors.
- Zenvus Smartfarm: This is an agri-Tech and IoT startup that uses sensors and algorithms to advise farmers on the health of their crops. The data is also sold (anonymized) to commodity traders.