Under The Sun ZANU-PF Go Ahead With Mugabe Million Man March


A lot of Zimbabweans are currently partaking in the Mugabe Million Man March to “reaffirm the youth’s support and to confirm [their] support” for the nonagenarian president who has confirmed he will be contesting for the 2018 presidential elections.

One of the supporters told the Guardian, “We are happy that we are marching for our president to prevent the opposition from distracting the country’s leader… Our president has the people at heart and we support that a lot.”

The supporters, most of whom were transported by bus to Zimbabwe’s capital chanted songs of solidarity with the president while wielding flags.

Last month the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), Zimbabwe’s major opposition party held a rally against president Mugabe. The opposition denounced the leader and his rule which has resulted in an economic crunch, vast unemployment, and increased poverty in Zimbabwe.

SEE ALSO: MDC-T Demo: Thousands Denounce Mugabe’s Rule

“The MDC would like to unreservedly and strenuously condemn the proposed Zanu-PF so-called million men march that is supposed to take place on May 25, 2016. If anything, whoever is going to march on May 25 should be marching against poverty, joblessness, hunger, destitution and corruption.

“It is these ills that have been the hallmark of Robert Mugabe’s unparalleled mismanagement of the national economy over the past few decades,” Gutu said in a statement to News24.

Zimbabweans War Veterans also criticized the Mugabe Million Man March.

“There is no sincerity in the million-man march. There is no political consciousness. It will not revive industry or bring food on the table. They should, instead, find out from us the formula we used to bring independence. A million-man march, then what?” spokesperson Douglas Mahiya said.

SEE ALSO: War Vets Call ZANU-PF Million-Man March To Honor Mugabe Insincere

See what others had to say regarding the Mugabe Million Man March