Ozubulu Church Attack– On Sunday, August 6th, 2017, Nigerian authorities reported a gruesome Church gun attack in Ozubulu, Anambra State.
It was reported that the attack took place in the early hours of Sunday morning; marking the Transfiguration of Jesus Christ, at St Phillip’s Catholic Church Amakwa Ozubulu.
An eye witnesses reported that they were settled in the church for the 6am mass. After the homily, and the congregation was about to say the creed, gun shots were heard. Soon a gun man came into the church and sporadically shot at the people as many desperately fled and hid for their lives.
Some other reports say the attack was carried out by more than one gun man.
The police force was alerted and they stormed the scene of event. By then there were already casualties.
Anambra Police report says that about 11 people were killed and 18 injured.
On another report by Nigeria’s Television Authorities(NTA), it says about 11 people have been confirmed dead while about 25 were injured and currently being hospitalized at Nnamdi Azikiwe Teaching Hospital.
Willy Obiano, the Governor of the state, visited the church and listened to witnesses including the Parish priest, Fr. Jude Onwuaso who escaped from the back door to seek for help.
“After the first round, there was second round and I guess it was during the second round that people were shot dead. When I came back I discovered that some of my parishioners were dead, about five or six I saw shot dead bleeding.
“A lot of people were injured, some were shot in the stomach, some were shot in the head and some were shot in the hand.”
The State Commissioner of Police Anambra State ,CP Garba Umar, was also present at St Phillip’s church. As contained in the police statement he considered the Ozubulu church attack as “sacrilegious”.
It read thus:
“Intelligence report/Preliminary investigation proved that it is a fight between the two individual of the community living outside Nigeria that caused the incident, because one of them built the church which the incident happened. It is definitely not a terrorist attack in the mould of Boko Haram or Fulani herdsmen attack. It is sacrilegious but for now, is still premature to disclose the identities, we will brief the public after investigation is concluded.”
The Commissioner extended his sympathy for the afflicted families of the dead and the injured. He also promised that the police will do all it takes to get to the root of the attack and get the perpetrators to book.
Joining his voice with the Governor of the state, President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the Ozubulu church attack, calling it inhuman and unacceptable.
The police urged the people to be vigilant and report suspicious movements in their environment. So far no arrests have been made.
Governor Willy Obiano calmed the people and assured them that there was no cause to be alarmed. He also visited the casualties in the hospital and has equally taken care of their bills.