A host of websites and online stores have opened up within the last decade to promote the convenience of online shopping across the various countries in Africa. Ghana got Tonaton.com in 2013 as a result of that wave.
Along with promoting online shopping websites have also risen to allow individuals to post advertisements of their used products on the websites with the intent of selling. So, the websites also provide the opportunity for the buyers to contact the owners via the website or some other mode which is indirectly linked to the website.
Tonaton.com also serves this purpose for Ghanaians. In fact, it is a classifieds and e-commerce website designed to facilitate buying and selling new and used items and searching for jobs online.
Tonaton means “Buy and Sell” in Twi and by marrying these three frequently required services; buying, selling and databasing jobs it has since become one of Ghana’s largest marketplaces both on and offline. It is a leading online choice for the great blue collar and entry-level jobs and deals on electronics, cars, property and general items such as clothing, pets, and furniture.
For online marketing, there is a need for a secure path which assures the user of complete security of the transaction and, where the need arises, safe delivery of products with no fear of fraud to contend with. To that end, in 2015, Tonaton.com enhanced online security by becoming Ghana’s first and only online platform to require physical or electronic ID verification of posters on the platform.
Tonaton.com is the brainchild of a Swedish company, Saltside, which is focused on building online marketplaces in underserved communities to create sustainable value for the society. The mother company, Saltside, currently operates in 7 countries.
To date, the company has been recognized for: Excellence in E-commerce; Ghana Auto Awards, Edition I, Best Online Oil And Gas Jobs platform; Oil and Gas Awards, Edition II, Best Organizational Blog; Blogging Ghana and Social Media Awards, Edition IV and Excellence in Product Innovation – Commerce; Technology Impact Awards, Edition I.
Reasons You Should Trade On Tonaton
- Tonaton.com boasts of thousands of unique visitors monthly. This would mean that an ad poster has an increased chance of selling and filling vacancies quickly and conveniently. Alexia internet says that the Tonaton website became the 15th most visited website in all of Ghana after only three months of its creation.
- The website Tonaton is very efficient providing the free classified of the used objects as well as the feature of buying something brand new.
- The website allows users to seamlessly upload ads onto the site and have them displayed within 4 hours of posting. The ads will go through a stringent approval process, making sure that they follow the terms and conditions to ensure the products and services sold are legitimate and as genuine as possible.
- Tonaton permits posting of classified ads on the site for no charge, users are simply required to submit a valid email address and in three easy steps, the ad can be uploaded onto the site.
- Individuals and businesses can enjoy doorstep delivery services via Buy Now.
- The ads are valid on the site for a period of 90 days and since the site is available throughout Ghana, buyers can purchase items from someone in their own town and city.
- You can increase your sales on Tonaton by becoming a member. A Tonaton membership would allow your business to have a bigger presence on Tonaton.com meaning that you can reach even more customers.
Here are some of the benefits of Tonaton membership listed on the site;
- You get a page dedicated entirely to your business, including beautiful photos, your business details and all of your ads in one place.
- With a membership package, you are enabled to post an unlimited number of ads.
- Bonus Bump Up and Top Ad promotions are included with Membership at no extra cost every month.
- Membership packages come loaded with features that give your business tools to grow including a dedicated team to help you post ads on Tonaton.com.
How To Sign Up On Tonaton.com
Step 1: Go to Tonaton.com
Step 2: Click “Post Your Ad” at the top right-hand corner and follow the processes as they appear to you.
Step 3: Select the “Sell an item or service” option.
Step 4: Select the “category” and “subcategory” your item belongs to.
Step 5: Select the “city” or “region” in which your item is located.
Step 6: A new page will open with step-by-step instructions on how to create your ad, including how to give your item a clear, specific description, price, contact details and how to upload a photo. Once you’ve filled in all the details for your ad, click “Post Ad” button at the bottom of the screen.
Step 7: A new page will open. Here you will be asked to create a password. This password will be your Tonaton.com password that will allow you to log into the platform to edit or create new ads.Step 8:
Step 8: After successfully creating your account password. Tonaton will then verify your ad/information, and this can take up to 24 hours. In the mean time, check your email to confirm and verify your account.Step 9:
Step 9: This is an optional step. Tonaton currently has two options available to sellers if you want to promote your ad on Tonaton.com. “Top Ad” and “Daily Bump” cost 10 GHC and 16 GHC respectively.