As Cubans and the world mourn the demise of Fidel Castro, his legacy remains unforgettable.
Before Castro’s death 2 days ago, he granted what is now his final address before the communist party which his brother and Cuban President Rual Castro is the leader till his anticipated 2018 hand over.
As contained in the address, Fidel Castro hinted that it would be his last one.
“Soon I will be 90 years old. Soon I will be like all the rest. Everybody’s turn comes,”
“Perhaps this will be one of the last times I speak in this room”
“The ideas of Cuban Communists will remain as proof that on this planet, if you work hard and with dignity, you can produce the material and cultural goods human beings need.”
Even as he approached his end, he kept to his stand when he said,
“I am a Marxist-Leninist, and I will be a Marxist-Leninist until the last days of my life.”
Here are other interesting Fidel Castro quotes You need to Know:
1. I think that a man should not live beyond the age when he begins to deteriorate, when the flame that lighted the brightest moment of his life has weakened.
2. Someday, the capitalist system will disappear in the United States, because no social class system has been eternal. One day, class societies will disappear.
3. A revolution is not a trail of roses.… A revolution is a fight to the death between the future and the past.
4. Man is born egotistical, a result of the conditioning of nature. Nature fills us with instincts; it is education that fills us with virtues.
5. Condemn me, it does not matter: history will absolve me.
6. Men do not shape destiny. Destiny produces the man for the hour.
7. Warfare is a means and not an end. Warfare is a tool of revolutionaries. The important thing is the revolution! The important thing is the revolutionary cause, revolutionary ideas, revolutionary objectives, revolutionary sentiments, revolutionary virtues!
8. With what moral authority can they (United States) speak of human rights — the rulers of a nation in which the millionaire and beggar coexist; the Indian is exterminated; the black man is discriminated against; the woman is prostituted; and the great masses of Chicanos, Puerto Ricans, and Latin Americans are scorned, exploited, and humiliated?
9. The ever more sophisticated weapons piling up in the arsenals of the wealthiest and the mightiest can kill the illiterate, the ill, the poor and the hungry, but they cannot kill ignorance, illness, poverty or hunger.
10. There is often talk of human rights, but it is also necessary to talk of the rights of humanity. Why should some people walk barefoot, so that others can travel in luxurious cars? Why should some live for thirty-five years, so that others can live for seventy years? Why should some be miserably poor, so that others can be hugely rich?
11. I speak on behalf of the children in the world who do not have a piece of bread. I speak on the behalf of the sick who have no medicine, of those whose rights to life and human dignity have been denied.
12. I reached the conclusion long ago that the one last sacrifice I must make for [Cuban] public health is to stop smoking. I haven’t really missed it that much.
13. I am Fidel Castro and we have come to liberate Cuba.