I love to see women who go out there in a world dominated by men to grab what rightfully belongs to them. The world is actually looking for such women. Majority look up to the few women that have succeeded in carving out a niche for themselves, and the fact remains that you can become one of such. If you are still in doubt about how to do that, we have a way out for you. If you want to be like the many independent women out there, just follow their steps and do what they did, or better still listen to what they have to say about being independent and i’m sure you will know where to go from there. Here are some independent and strong women quotes to encourage you.
Quotes About Strong Women
1. “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” – Maya Angelou
2. “Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers. You can fill your life up with ideas and still go home lonely. All you really have that really matters are feelings. That’s what music is to me.” – Janis Joplin
3. “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” – Anais Nin
4. “Taking joy in living is a woman’s best cosmetic.” – Rosalind Russell
5. “Woman must not accept; she must challenge.She must not be awed by that which has been built up around her; she must reverence that woman in her which struggles for expression.” – Margaret Sanger
6. “A woman with a voice is by definition a strong woman. But the search to find that voice can be remarkably difficult.” – Melinda Gates
7. “You can have unbelievable intelligence, you can have connections, you can have opportunities fall out of the sky. But in the end, hard work is the true, enduring characteristic of successful people.” – Marsha Evans
8. Never underestimate the strength and the power of a woman. Women can do almost anything that men can do.
9. The perfect woman, you see, is a working woman; not an idle, not a fine lady, but one who uses her hands and her head and her heart for the good.
10. The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.
11. She believed in dreams all right, but she also believe in doing something about them… When her prince charming didn’t came along, she went over to the palace and got him.
12. “When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.” – Helen Keller
13. “Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country.” – Margaret Thatcher
14. “If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.” – Katharine Hepburn
15. “The best protection any woman can have is … courage.” – Elizabeth Cady Stanton
16. “We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained.” – Marie Curie
17. I know what I bring to the table, so trust me when I say I’m not afraid to be alone.
18. A woman with wisdom carries herself with a humble, quiet grace, yet her presence is powerful.
20. Women are strong and independent. Guys think we will break down when they leave, but it just makes us stronger and it kills them to see us move on.
21. Women do cry, sometimes meek and submissive. But once ignited or motivated; they are a lot stronger than men.
22. It is hard to be a woman. You must think like a man, act like a lady, look like a young girl, and work like a horse.
23. A strong woman is one who is able to smile this morning like she wasn’t crying last night.
24. Behind every beautiful female there’s a guy who did her wrong and made her stronger.
25. A strong woman is independent, knows who she is, accomplishes her goals, relies on no one, and can overcome any obstacle thrown in her way.
26. The best kind of friendships are fierce lady friendships where you aggressively believe in each other, defend each other, and think the other deserves the world.
27. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” – Maya Angelou
28. “Women are never stronger than when they arm themselves with their weaknesses.” – Madame Marie du Deffand
29. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
30. “If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
31. “Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.”
– Charlotte Whitton
32. “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” – Alice Walker
33. “One likes people much better when they’re battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph.” – Virginia Woolf
34. “If you don’t like being a doormat then get off the floor.” – Al Anon
35. “Whatever you do, be different – that was the advice my mother gave me, and I can’t think of better advice for an entrepreneur. If you’re different, you will stand out.” – Anita Roddick
36. A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That’s why they don’t get what they want.” – Madonna
37. “A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
38. Girls aren’t moody, they just have days when they are less likely to put up with your shit.
39. A woman’s greatest strength is her emotion, but it is also her greatest weakness.
40. A woman who knows her worth doesn’t measure herself against another woman but stands strong, calmed and self-confident.
41. A real women stands up for what she believes in and admits when she is wrong.
42. Women are always being tested…but ultimately, each of us has to define who we are individually and then do the very best job we can to grow into it.
43. You can break down a woman temporarily, But real woman will always pick up the pieces, rebuild herself and come back stronger than ever..
44. A woman who walks in purpose doesn’t have to chase people or opportunities, her light causes people and opportunities to pursue her.
45. She is sensitive but not touchy. She is kind to all but has discernment. She is confident but not arrogant. She is who I hope to be.
46. It’s amazing how strong a woman can be when the man she loves says he loves her back. It’s just as amazing how easily her heart can be shattered with one little lie.
47. A strong woman perseveres regardless of the odds and circumstances. You don’t know how strong you are until you’ve hit bottom and survived.
48. “You move totally away from reality when you believe that there is a legitimate reason to suffer.” – Byron Katie
49. “Courage is like a muscle. We strengthen it by use.” – Ruth Gordon
50. “Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to require the most from you.” – Caroline Myss
51. “Success breeds confidence.” – Beryl Markham
52. “Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, “She doesn’t have what it takes.” They will say, “Women don’t have what it takes.” – Clare Boothe Luce
53. “The way in which we think of ourselves has everything to do with how our world see us and how we see ourselves successfully acknowledged by the world.” – Arlene Rankin
54. “A man’s got to do what a man’s got to do. A woman must do what he can’t.” – Rhonda Hansome
55. “We still live in a world in which a significant fraction of people, including women, believe that a woman belongs and wants to belong exclusively in the home.” – Rosalyn Sussman
56. “You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through.” – Rosalynn Carter
57. “One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.” – Simone de Beauvoir
58. Women with a strong character are always beautiful.
59. People are taken aback by a confident, pretty girl who knows what she wants in life and isn’t going to let anyone get in her way. And you know what it’s all about? Jealousy.
60. Women want attention, love and care. No matter how strong they are, no matter how dependent they become, no matter how old they become, inside they still want someone who can lead them, control them, show affection to them and protect them.
Quotes On Independent Women
61. A girl doesn’t need anyone who doesn’t need her.
62. A strong woman, is one who loves deeply, and loves fiercely, her tears flow just as abundantly as her laughter. A strong woman is both soft and powerful. She is both practical and Spiritual… A strong Woman in her essence is a gift to the WORLD!
63. “It was we, the people; not we, the white male citizens; nor yet we, the male citizens; but we, the whole people, who formed the Union…. Men, their rights and nothing more; women, their rights and nothing less.” – Susan B. Anthony
64. “A strong woman understands that the gifts such as logic, decisiveness, and strength are just as feminine as intuition and emotional connection. She values and uses all of her gifts.” – Nancy Rathburn
65. “A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform.” – Diane Mariechild
66. “I want to do is because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be but a challenge to others.” – Amelia Earhart
67. “Just watch, all of you men. I’ll show you what a woman can do…I’ll go across the country, I’ll race to the Moon… I’ll never look back.” – Edna Gardner Whyte
68. There’s a beauty about a woman whose confidence comes from experiences. Who knows she can fall, pick herself up, and go on.
69. Women have to work twice as hard as men to be considered on the same level… luckily that isn’t hard.
70. You say I’m a bitch… I say I’m a woman with a strong personality that doesn’t play well with others.
71. Girls are afraid to be alone, women revel in it, using it as a time for personal growth.
72. Women are like police, they can have all the evidence in the world but they still want a confession…
73. Every strong woman can do it on her own, but a stronger man wouldn’t let her.
74. “I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much.” – Mother Teresa
75. “Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences.” – J. K. Rowling
76. “I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
77. “The day will come when men will recognize woman as his peer, not only at the fireside, but in councils of the nation. Then, and not until then, will there be the perfect comradeship, the ideal union between the sexes that shall result in the highest development of the race.” – Susan B. Anthony
78. “We ask justice, we ask equality, we ask that all the civil and political rights that belong to citizens of the United States, be guaranteed to us and our daughters forever.” – Susan B. Anthony
79. “Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
80. “One of the most courageous things you can do is identify yourself, know who you are, what you believe in and where you want to go.” – Sheila Murray Bethel
81. “It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends.”
– J. K. Rowling
82. Strong women wear their pain like stilettos. Now matter how much it hurts, all you see is the beauty of it.
83. You are a woman and you are beautiful, remember that you are worth loving. Not a girl and a doll to be played with.
84. I feel bad for all the little girls reading fairy tales about princes who come and save them. They should learn that they can be strong, independent women who don’t need a man to affirm their self worth…
85. A real woman knows how it feels to be hurt and left behind its the strength that keeps them going.
86. The strength of a woman is not measured by the impact that all her hardships in life have had on her; but the strength of a woman is measured by the extent of her refusal to allow those hardships to dictate her and who she becomes.
87. “Love is anterior to Life, Posterior to Death, Initial of Creation, and The Exponent of Earth.” – Emily Dickinson
88. “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
89. “Most people who meet my wife quickly conclude that she is remarkable. They are right about this. She is smart, funny and thoroughly charming. Often, after hearing her speak at some function or working with her on a project, people will approach me and say something to the effect of, you know, I think the world of you, Barack, but your wife, wow!” – Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
90. “People think at the end of the day that a man is the only answer [to fulfillment]. Actually a job is better for me.”
– Princess Diana
91. “A woman with a voice is by definition a strong woman. But the search to find that voice can be remarkably difficult.” – Melinda Gates
92. A scorned woman wants revenge, a strong woman moves on.
93. A real strong-minded woman can do any thing by herself, but a real wise man won’t let her.
94. No man succeeds without a good woman behind him, wife or mother. If he has both, he is blessed twice.
95. It is sad to see women fight to have equal rights to men while their destinies are to be far more superior to them.
96. “I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.” – Oprah Winfrey
97. “When you lose a couple of times, it makes you realize how difficult it is to win.” – Steffi Graf
98. “You take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing, no one to blame.” – Erica Jong
99. “No woman who had been intimate with a god was easily disturbed.” ― Michael Cadnum
100. “A strong woman builds her own world. She is one who is wise enough to know that it will attract the man she will gladly share it with.” ― Ellen J.
101. “We women talk too much, but even then we don’t tell half what we know.” ― Nancy Astor the Viscountess Astor
102. “A man in the house is worth two on the street.”
103. “Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.” ― Rumi, The Essential Rumi
104. “Freedom (n.): To ask nothing. To expect nothing. To depend on nothing.” ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
105. “I’m single because I was born that way.” ― Mae West
106. “I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow, than a man swear he loves me.” ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
107. “Most men claim to desire driven, independent and confident women. Yet when confronted with such a creature reverence often evolves into resent. For just like women, men need to be needed.” ― Tiffany Madison
108. “I’d rather die my way than live yours.” ― Lauren Oliver, Delirium
109. “I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.” ― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
110. “I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.” ― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
111. “I am not an angel,’ I asserted; ‘and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself. Mr. Rochester, you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of me – for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which I do not at all anticipate.” ― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
112. “Marriage is a fine institution, but I’m not ready for an institution.” ― Mae West
113. I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” ― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
114. “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” ― Coco Chanel
115. “How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself?”
― Anaïs Nin
116. “I will not be “famous,” “great.” I will go on adventuring, changing, opening my mind and my eyes, refusing to be stamped and stereotyped. The thing is to free one’s self: to let it find its dimensions, not be impeded.”
― Virginia Woolf, A Writer’s Diary
117. “I have not lived as a woman. I have lived as a man. I’ve just done what I damn well wanted to, and I’ve made enough money to support myself, and ain’t afraid of being alone.” ― Katharine Hepburn
118. “People have only as much liberty as they have the intelligence to want and the courage to take.” ― Emma Goldman
119. “Be an independent thinker at all times, and ignore anyone who attempts to define you in a limiting way.”
120. For women’s tears are but the sweat of eyes. ~ Juvenal
121. like intelligent women. When you go out, it shouldn’t be a staring contest. ~ Frank Sinatra
122. I do not wish women to have power over men; but over themselves. ~ Mary Shelley
123. Women are incredible in groups together. Terrifying. Men have nothing on them. ~ Michael Hutchence
124. Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. ~ Groucho Marx
125. Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them. ~ Dick Van Dyke
126. Women have always been the strong ones of the world. The men are always seeking from women a little pillow to put their heads down on. They are always longing for the mother who held them as infants. ~ Coco Chanel
127. A woman is like a tea bag – you can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
128. I think the girl who is able to earn her own living and pay her own way should be as happy as anybody on earth. The sense of independence and security is very sweet. ~ Susan B. Anthony
129. If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman. ~ Margaret Thatcher
130. Women need real moments of solitude and self-reflection to balance out how much of ourselves we give away. ~ Barbara de Angelis
131. You see a lot of smart guys with dumb women, but you hardly ever see a smart woman with a dumb guy. ~ Erica Jong
132. A woman has two smiles that an angel might envy, the smile that accepts a lover before words are uttered, and the smile that lights on the first-born babe, and assures it of a mother’s love. ~ Thomas Chandler Haliburton
133. Women often postpone their lives, thinking that if they’re not with a partner then it doesn’t really count. They’re still searching for their prince, in a way. And as much as we don’t discuss that, because it’s too embarrassing and too sad, I think it really does exist. ~ Jane Campion
134. There was a time when men thought it was sexy to have a housewife waiting for him to come home from work in her slippers, but in modern society, I think an independent woman is even more sexy. ~ Kat Graham
135. A woman should be like a single flower, not a whole bouquet. ~ Anna Held
136. Any time women come together with a collective intention, it’s a powerful thing. Whether it’s sitting down making a quilt, in a kitchen preparing a meal, in a club reading the same book, or around the table playing cards, or planning a birthday party, when women come together with a collective intention, magic happens. ~ Phylicia Rashad
137. As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot. ~ John Lennon
138. Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness. ~ Oprah Winfrey
139. I think God made a woman to be strong and not to be trampled under the feet of men. I’ve always felt this way because my mother was a very strong woman, without a husband. ~ Little Richard
140. In our society, the women who break down barriers are those who ignore limits. ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
141. The term ‘alpha female’ originated in my field of animal behavior, but has acquired new meaning. It refers to women who are in charge, for example, by flirting and dating on their own terms. It is also used maliciously for a loud-mouthed, controlling woman who has no patience with deviating opinions. ~ Frans de Waal
142. No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it’s only a question of degree. ~ W. C. Fields
143. How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself. ~ Anais Nin
144. I don’t know why women want any of the things men have when one the things that women have is men. ~ Coco Chanel
145. Women, like men, should try to do the impossible. And when they fail, their failure should be a challenge to others. ~ Amelia Earhart
146. I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot. ~ Marilyn Monroe
147. I have been a woman for fifty years, and I’ve never yet been able to discover precisely what it is I am. ~ Jean Giraudoux
148. Honor your daughters. They are honorable. ~ Malala Yousafzai
149. Clearly older women and especially older women who have led an active life or elder women who successfully maneuver through their own family life have so much to teach us about sharing, patience, and wisdom. ~ Alice Walker
150. Women in love are less ashamed than men. They have less to be ashamed of. ~ Ambrose Bierce
151. The age of a woman doesn’t mean a thing. The best tunes are played on the oldest fiddles. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
152. Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
153. Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. ~ Timothy Leary
154. Women cannot complain about men anymore until they start getting better taste in them. ~ Bill Maher
155. A women who doesn’t wear perfume has no future. ~ Coco Chanel
156. I guess at the end of the day, all women like to be appreciated and treated with respect and kindness. ~ Sofia Vergara
157. Girls have an unfair advantage over men: if they can’t get what they want by being smart, they can get it by being dumb. ~ Yul Brynner
158. I write for those women who do not speak, for those who do not have a voice because they were so terrified, because we are taught to respect fear more than ourselves. We’ve been taught that silence would save us, but it won’t. ~ Audre Lorde
159. Wives are young men’s mistresses, companions for middle age, and old men’s nurses. ~ Francis Bacon
160. Being the boss anywhere is lonely. Being a female boss in a world of mostly men is especially so. ~ Robert Frost
161. I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved. ~ B. R. Ambedkar
162. Men are April when they woo, December when they wed. Maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives. ~ William Shakespeare
163. Most women set out to try to change a man, and when they have changed him they do not like him. ~ Marlene Dietrich
164. It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs. ~ Margaret Thatcher
165. Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men. ~ Joseph Conrad
166. Women are made to be loved, not understood. ~ Oscar Wilde
167. After all those years as a woman hearing ‘not thin enough, not pretty enough, not smart enough, not this enough, not that enough,’ almost overnight I woke up one morning and thought, ‘I’m enough.’ ~ Anna Quindlen